Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LEITHEN ROAD, MANSLEY LODGE AND THE GREEN GATES INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB34972

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
01/03/1978
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Innerleithen
NGR
NT 33417 37592
Coordinates
333417, 637592

Description

Late 18th century with earlier 19th century and later additions. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan symmetrical former manse (now subdivided) with corniced square pilastered doorpiece. Finely tooled whinstone rubble with tabbed raised and painted sandstone window margins. Base course. Later 20th century brick and rendered external stair, sunroom and box dormers to N.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows; panelled timber door with 4-pane glazed fanlight. Slate roofs; stone skews; corniced ashlar gable end stacks with plain cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: some good later 19th century detailing in place including egg and dart cornicing to principal room. Marble chimneypieces with tiled inserts and some plain timber mantels to upper floor. A mixture of 6- and 4-panel doors.

BOUNDARY WALLS: whinstone rubble.

Statement of Special Interest

Mansley Lodge and The Green Gables is a large former manse with a fine Classical main elevation, which makes a strong contribution to the local history of the area. The building was adapted from a 18th century farmhouse to be used as the manse for the adjacent Old Parish Church (demolished circa 1880) in 1779.

The building is thought to have been built in two stages; according to Kitty Cruft the N section was added later in 1879 by Archibald Nicol. The whole building is however shown on Dobson's map of 1849 suggesting otherwise. The owner was told by the previous occupant that the section to the North was an early 18th century farmhouse with the main elevation South section and being added in the earlier 19th century. A visible line in the gable of the N section would also strengthen the case that it is an earlier building with the roof being raised at a later date.

There is no evidence of the internal staircase, removed during the subdivision, which could help with understanding the former layout of the house before the property was subdivided.

L-plan former stables to the West, under separate ownership and converted to housing, have interesting diamond roof ventilators.

List description revised 2008.

References

Bibliography

John Ainslie Map of the Southern Part of Scotland, 1821. 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (1855). W Chambers, A History of Peebleshire (1864) p368. Thomas Dobson, Reminiscences of Innerleithen and Traquair, (1896). J W Buchan, History of Peebleshire (Vol III) (1925) p373. Robb and Stevenson, Glimpses of Old Innerleithen and Traquair (1989) p16. Kitty Cruft, Buildings of Scotland, Borders (2006), p401.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LEITHEN ROAD, MANSLEY LODGE AND THE GREEN GATES INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 17:24