Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

INNERLEITHEN PARISH CHURCH, LEITHEN ROAD, INNERLEITHEN INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERSLB34966

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
23/02/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Innerleithen
NGR
NT 33192 36947
Coordinates
333192, 636947

Description

Thomas Pilkington, 1865-7, substantially rebuilt by James Macintyre Henry 1887; and further alterations 1920. Gothic, roughly rectangular-plan, multi-gabled church with double gables to transepts and octagonal tower to northeast corner. Polychromatic stonework; coursed whinstone rubble with stugged sandstone quoins and window margins. Battered base course. Main (East) elevation with pointed overarch on corner pilasters framing recessed screen with 6-light Venetian gothic windows and 3 circular windows above; finely carved capital heads and surface decoration; 2-bay session house to left. 1920 octagonal tower with gothic cupola to right. Paired gables to transepts with triple-light and trefoil windows over 4-light gothic windows; pointed quatrefoil dormers. Plain pitched and buttressed chancel to west end with truncated stack.

Squared and diamond leaded glazing. Grey slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Pyramidal-capped octagonal ridge ventilator. Sawtooth stone skews; apex finials. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: (seen 2008) large red sandstone chancel arch on moulded shafts housing large organ with finely stencilled pipes by J. Brook & Co, Glasgow. Open timber roof over side galleries to nave and east end on painted cast-iron columns. Two original carved stone capital columns to east end. Angled pews. Tongue and groove dado height panelling. Octagonal timber carved pulpit on sandstone base by Macintyre Henry. Stained glass memorials to World Wars. Later 20th century partition below east gallery.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: rubble wall with angled sandstone copes to E. Octagonal sandstone pyramidal-capped gatepiers and wrought-iron memorial gates to Rev J Y Walker, Minister 1917-51. Rubble wall with ogee clay copes to north; plain walls to north and south.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of worship in use as such. Innerleithen Parish Church is a fine Gothic style church originally designed by renowned architect Thomas Pilkington (1832-1898) in 1865 with comprehensive reconstruction in 1887 by James Macintyre Henry (1852-1929). As a combined work it has quality stonework detailing, an unusual plan shape and a fine galleried interior.

Pilkington was a prominent Edinburgh based Gothic architect who carried out a broad spectrum of work over his career including churches, villas, schools and tenements. He was known for ambitious idiosyncratic designs with fine stone detailing and polychrome stonework, as illustrated by the Innerleithen Parish Church. The main elements to survive of Pilkington's design are the East elevation, the battered base course and the lower walls with Venetian Gothic windows. Pilkington's original plan layout was an elongated octagon, but this was lost when MacIntyre introduced a new square chancel at the west end to house the new organ, and replaced the octagonal plan sides with double gables. Macintyre reused Pilkington's stone detailing in his reconstruction such as the quatrefoil gableted dormers. Internally much of the structure dates from Macintyre's reconstructions; he introduced the west chancel with its red sandstone arch, the double vaulted transepts and the new exposed timber roof structure. New columns support the galleries; only two stone originals with carved capitals remain. The octagonal tower was added in 1920. A photograph in Robb and Stevenson shows the church in its original condition as built by Pilkington with a tall central ridge spire. The church was built by local master mason Robert Mathison, as were most of the churches in Innerleithen. The adjacent church hall was built by James Macintrye Henry in 1887.

List description revised 2008. Statutory address changed in 2015. Previously listed as 'Leithen Road, Innerleithen Parish Church Including Runic Cross, Boundary Walls, Gates and Gatepiers'.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1897). 25 mile to the Inch. London: Ordnance Survey.

Robb and Stevenson, Glimpses of Old Innerleithen and Traquair (1989) p16.

Cruft K. (2006) Buildings of Scotland - Borders. Yale Universiy Press: London. p397.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk (accessed 11 April 2007).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INNERLEITHEN PARISH CHURCH, LEITHEN ROAD, INNERLEITHEN INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 01:58