Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

RED GAUNTLET ROAD, DRUMFORK HOUSELB34845

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
21/10/1976
Supplementary Information Updated
03/04/2019
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Helensburgh
NGR
NS 31096 81896
Coordinates
231096, 681896

Description

1748 with early 19th century alterations and additions to rear and 1989 wing to east. Two-storey and attic, five-bay symmetrical villa with single storey wing to east. Rendered and linted as ashlar, with raised, droved ashlar and painted margins and dressings. Base and eaves lintel course. Quoin strips. Splayed reveals to openings.

South (entrance) elevation: later boarded timber porch to centre with pilastered angles and cornice. Two-leaf panelled doors and two-leaf deep-set half-glazed vestibule doors. First floor window above. Paired windows flanking porch at ground and first floor. Square dormer off-centre to right. Canted bay to later wing.

N (rear) elevation: window at ground and first floor to outer right. Two-storey block advanced to left; west face with central window at ground and first floor. Window in recessed bay at first floor to right. North face of advanced block with window at ground and first floor. Wallhead chimney stack.

West (side) elevation: no openings. Chimney stack at apex of small central gable breaking cornice.

East (side) elevation: window at ground to outer right. Three windows at first floor, comprising pair of windows to right and window off-centre to left. Chimney stack at apex of small central gable breaking cornice.

Mostly four-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended and platformed roof with grey slate.

Interior: scale and platt stair with timber balustrade.

Statement of Special Interest

Drumfork House is now surrounded by housing but the house predated the development of Helensburgh. It was at one time an inn on what was the ancient drovers road up Glen Fruin, from Loch Lomondside to Drumfork Ferry where cattle were shipped to Greenock. An L-plan stables to rear (shown on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map) was demolished around 1986.

Listed building record updated in 2019.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ Canmore ID 197627

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1860, published 1862) Dumbartonshire XVII.6 (Cardross). 1st Edition. 25 inches to the mile.

Ordnance Survey (revised 1897, published 1898) Dumbartonshire XVII.6 (Cardross; Rhu). 2nd Edition. 25 inches to the mile.

Printed Sources

Walker, F. A. (2000) The Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute. p.196.

Walker, F.A. and Sinclair, F. (1992) North Clyde Estuary. p.64.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RED GAUNTLET ROAD, DRUMFORK HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 06:20