Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1 PRINCES STREET EAST AND 48, 50, 52, 52A SINCLAIR STREET, MUNICIPAL BUILDINGSLB34825

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1993
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Helensburgh
NGR
NS 29683 82384
Coordinates
229683, 682384

Description

John Honeyman, 1878; additions by A N Paterson 1906. 2-storey and

attic 4-bay Scots Baronial municipal buildings on corner site. Stugged and coursed cream sandstone; ashlar dressings. Base and cill course; ashlar mullioned windows; roll-moulded arrises; crowstepped gables.

1878 building:

S (PRINCES STREET/ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: Scots Renaissance style doorcase to centre with coat-of-arms above; semi-circular arched doorway. Taller gabled bay to left, tripartite window at ground; bipartite mullioned and transomed window at 1st floor; corbelled course with rope moulding above stepped over bipartite window and extended to bays to right; window to gablehead with cartouche above cornice. Angle tourelles flanking gable. Pair of windows to right of doorcase; window to centre at 1st floor, 2 windows symmetrically disposed to right, 2 finialled, pedimented windows above breaking eaves, each with decorated tympanum.

W (SINCLAIR STREET) ELEVATION: 2-bay return to Sinclair Street; window to left at ground. Corbelled oriel to right above, lights arranged 1-2-1, piended lead roof. Small window to left with uncarved panel above lintel. Nepus gable above oriel with bipartite window, ball finial to apex. Lower 2-storey wing to outer left, 3-bays at ground with fanlit semi-circular arched doorway to centre, 4-light window to right, bipartite window to left. Window above doorway set in slightly advanced gabled bay, corbelled cill, small window to gabelhead, finial to apex. Bipartite window to right, window to left, square tourelle to outer left with small window below and 2 small windows to W face. Corbelled eaves course, bell-cast finialled roof.

1906 building:

3-storey single bay gabled stair block linking 1878 and 1906 blocks; door to left, small window set in semi-circular arched recess to right; stepped corbel course above; bipartite windows to 1st and 2nd floor set in shallow recessed panel; blind recessed panel to gablehead. Lower 2-storey wing to left; 6-bay at ground with architraved and fanlit doorpiece off-centre left, fine armorial display above, 3 windows to right, 2 windows to left. Window above armorial at 1st floor, 2 windows to far right. Deep canted oriel to left with roll-moulded architrave. Tall parapet with dentilled cornice above oriel. Taller gabled bay to left of oriel. Taller gabled bay to left or oriel with semi-circular arched pend entrance, window at 1st floor, window with scrolled lpedidment to gablehead. 4-bays to left with 2 doors and 2 windows, 4 windows at 1st floor, 2 scroll-pedimented dormerheaded windows breaking eaves, small window to far right with roll-moulded architrave. 3-storey bay to outer left with depressed-arch 'fire-engine' entrance, stop-chamf ered and moulded reveals with blocked voussoirs. Corbelled course above stepped at angles. Tripartite window to 1st floor with taller light to centre; window to far right. Pair windows set in advanced bay above tripartite window, small basket-arched window to far right. Corbelled parapet, stepped gable to centre with decorated panel with date 1906. INTERIOR: plasterwork ceilings at 1st floor.

Statement of Special Interest

Unsympathetic ramp erected to Princes Street entrance, 1992.

References

Bibliography

Frank Arneil Walker with Fiona Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 PRINCES STREET EAST AND 48, 50, 52, 52A SINCLAIR STREET, MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2021 16:56