Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

7 HIGH STREET, BANK OF SCOTLANDLB34637

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/08/1977
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Hawick
NGR
NT 50203 14497
Coordinates
350203, 614497

Description

David Cousin, 1863. 3-storey, 5-bay (grouped 1-3-1), palazzo-style bank forming part of terrace, with round-arched, keystoned openings at ground floor, full-length balcony at 1st floor, rectangular openings to upper floors and consoled entablature. Smooth-painted ashlar at ground floor; yellow sandstone ashlar above; squared, coursed yellow sandstone to rear. Ground-floor cornice; band courses above 1st and 2nd floors; modillioned eaves cornice; deep recessed blocking course.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Ground floor with Corinthian pilasters to central 3-window arcade; outer timber-panelled doors (2-leaf to left, single-leaf to right) with fanlights flanked by plain pilasters supporting consoles (see NOTES). Pierced, scrolled detailing to 1st-floor consoled balcony; architraved 1st-floor windows with consoled cornices overlaying partial entablatures. 2nd floor with deeply recessed windows flanked by inset plain quarter-pilasters.

Fixed plate glass at ground floor; 4-pane glazing in timber sash-and-case windows above. Grey slate roof; coped yellow sandstone ashlar gablehead stacks with circular buff clay cans.

INTERIOR: Ground-floor banking hall with 2 fluted cast-iron columns supporting joists; decorative plasterwork to compartmented ceiling including dentilled and egg-and-dart cornice; some consoled corbels. Some timber-panelled shutters at 1st floor.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of a mid-19th-century provincial bank, with particularly fine Italian Renaissance-style detailing, situated on High Street at the heart of Hawick. The ground-floor banking hall, accessed through the door on the left of the main facade, retains many original features. The upper floors, reached via the door on the right of the main facade, would have contained offices and accommodation for the manager; they now form two flats, one at each level.

Now the Bank of Scotland, the building was originally the British Linen Bank. The British Linen Company had been the first financial house to establish a branch in Hawick, in 1783. The company was acquired by the Bank of Scotland in 1969.

The consoles supported by the pilasters flanking the doorways bear foliate relief carving and the British Linen Company monogram, 'BLC'.

David Cousin (1809-78), who practised in Edinburgh, was one of the most accomplished architects of his generation. He was appointed architect to the British Linen Company after the death of his predecessor, George Angus, in 1845. The design of provincial bank buildings was thereafter the mainstay of his practice. Cousin worked principally in an Italian Renaissance idiom until the late 1860s when he began to adopt a mid-Victorian freestyle. List description revised following resurvey (2008).

References

Bibliography

Shown on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1897). R E Scott, Companion to Hawick and District, (3rd Edition, 1998), p19. Charles Alexander Strang, Borders and Berwick: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (RIAS, 1994), p141. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p359. Dictionary of Scottish Architects (www.scottisharchitects.org.uk) [accessed 12 December 2007].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7 HIGH STREET, BANK OF SCOTLAND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 01:55