Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ST MARY'S PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB34391

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Burgh
Haddington
NGR
NT 51893 73635
Coordinates
351893, 673635

Description

Late 14th to late 15th centuries. Cruciform 206' x 32', 113'

across transepts 30' wide. Nave 5 bays, chancel 4, both

aisled with clerestory, transepts 2 bay aisleless central

tower formerly with crown, ashlar with slated roofs. Nave has

pinnacled buttresses, round arched double-opening w-door,

6-light window above; interior has clustered piers at arcade.

Aisles originally had masonry vaults, removed and arches of

arcade lifted to accommodated galleries by James Burn to

Archibald Elliot's design 1811, new plaster vaults to both

nave and aisles: crenellated parapets and new pinnacles

supplied same date. Galleries removed, refurnishing, George

Henderson 1891 Transepts roofless with NW angle missing until

1971, rebuilt and reroofed Ian G Lindsay and Partners,

vaults replaced in fibreglass to original design tower

reroofed and vaulted; choir walls, similar to nave but

unaltered. 2-light aisle windows instead of 3 as in nave,

repaired in 1858 and 1866, tracery of 4-light, E window

replaced 1877, further repairs and underpinning 1926-30,

restored and reroofed 1971-72 by Ian G Lindsay and Partners,

with fibreglass vaults over main vessel and aisles

reproducing original scheme. Revestry on N side of choir

partly rebuilt 17th century pointed barrel vault, fine double

arched monument to the 1st Lord Maitland (+1595) and the 2nd

lord, white and black marble with alabaster effigies to both

lords and their wives. John Stirling stained glass window,

by William Wilson, 1946; earlier glass of interest, some by

Heaton Butler and Bayne.

Statement of Special Interest

Guardianship Monument (Lauderdale Aisle only)

References

Bibliography

Inventory 68

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Lauderdale Aisle

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/lauderdale-aisle-st-marys-church

Find out more

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST MARY'S PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 15:18