Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NX 72277 66318
272277, 566318


Dated 1794; 1891-4 porch and vestry, internal alterations

by Peddie and Kinnear. 1893 level of tower lowered and

re-roofed, James Barbour architect. T-plan church with

octagonal tower to centre of long side (S). Painted rubble;

polished red sandstone margins to all openings - probably all

of late 19th century date; pointed arch windows, some with


Lean-to porch to SW gives access to church. S elevation 5-bay

with Y-tracery to outer bays, lancet inner bays and central

octagonal tower with pointed arch door with eliptical

datestone above inscribed MDCCXCIV, restored 1894 and 1913.

Band-course over ground stage. Pointed-arch louvred under

over door. Octagonal slate roof with tall weathervane.

INTERIOR: remodelled 20th-century, panel-fronted galleries to

E and W jambs. Central pulpit with carved reredos, 2 stained

glass lancets. Modern timber-lined coved ceiling.

CHURCHYARD: rubble walled churchyard around church. Mainly

late 18th or 19th century gravestones.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Canmore notes that the church was built in 1794 on the site of a previous place of worship and it was restored in 1894 and 1913. The earlier place of worship belonged to the Priory of Iona but by the time of the Reformation was owned by the Abbey of Holyrood. Canmore explains that a fragment of the previous church is now part of the east gate.

Listed building record updated in 2014.



Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: CANMORE ID 64591.

Old Statistical Account (1791-99) Balmaghie, Country of Kirkcudbright. Vol 13. p.650

Dumfries and Galloway Standard (11 January 1893) p.7c.

Reid, H M B (1895) The kirk above Dee Water. Castle Douglas: Adam Rae. pp. 17-18.

Scott, H et al (eds.) (1917) Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Vol. 3 Edinburgh : Oliver and Boyd. p.391

The National Archives of Scotland. Drawings of Balmaghie Church RHP 43972, 43973 and 43974.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Balmaghie Parish Church at (accessed 19/09/2014).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALMAGHIE PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 05:01