Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BORGUE PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARDLB3405

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/11/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Borgue
NGR
NX 62893 48303
Coordinates
262893, 548303

Description

Walter Newall, architect; 1814 porch and interior circa 1890,

style of James Barbour of Dumfries. T-plan neo-Gothic church

with square tower to E wall. Squared coursed rubble, polished

red sandstone margins.

2-bay nave with shallow projecting buttressed porch to S and

W gables. N gable with circa 1890 square gabled porch. Wide

4-centre arched windows with unusual 2-tiered tracery (an

early use of this motif) and hoodmoulds. Small-pane stack.

Tower in 3 stages with intermediate band courses. Single

lancets to 1st, bipartite with hoodmoulds to 2nd, louvred

openings to 3rd; cornice, embattled parapet with squat

pinnacles to angles.

Kneeler skewputts to gables with scroll skewputts. Stumps of

removed cross-finials remain. Slate roofs throughout.

To N gable square plan, single-storey later 19th-century

porch/vestry; rubble walling, embattled parapet.

To SE re-entrant angle good cast-iron spiral stair gives

access to narrow door at 2nd stage of tower.

INTERIOR: refitted circa 1890, timber lined open truss roof

also of 1890 date.

Rubble walled churchyard with mainly 19th century stones.

References

Bibliography

NSA, Groome vol 1 p 175. Plans and drawings in collection of

Dumfries Museum. Information from A MacKechnie, SDD.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BORGUE PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 02:20