Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

116, 118 and 122 Shore Street and 3 and 5 Kempock Place (former Municipal Buildings and Police Station), GourockLB34024

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/09/1979
Last Date Amended
07/10/2016
Local Authority
Inverclyde
Planning Authority
Inverclyde
Burgh
Gourock
NGR
NS 24238 77808
Coordinates
224238, 677808

Description

Stewart Tough & Alexander, dated 1923, Nos 116 and 118 dated 1924. 2-storey and attic asymmetrical corner block with shops to east and squat corner turret, Scottish 17th century style. Red sandstone, squared and snecked bull-faced rubble with polished ashlar dressings to principal facades, cream rubble and red brick to rear. Tall base course; ashlar mullions and transoms; rounded reveals; lugged gables; coped skews; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters.

116 and 118 SHORE STREET: 5-bay with round-arched doorway to centre with chamfered reveals, 2-leaf panelled door, basket-arched cavetto surround with floral billets, carved heraldic panel with motto framed by moulded panels and finials above; window at 1st floor with stepped eaves bearing datestone and finial. Bays to right breaking eaves in small gableheads; bays to left under broad gable with small bipartite window to gablehead.

122 SHORE STREET: large round-arched windows at ground floor; transomed and mullioned bipartite windows at 1st floor. Chamfered corner with canted oriel corbelled above ground floor with crenellated parapet and finialled pyramidal roof.

KEMPOCK PLACE: 3-bay elevation on falling ground with plain doorway flanked by small tripartite window to centre bay; 1st floor window breaking eaves in gablehead. Broad gabled bay to right with paired windows at ground and 1st floor, blank panel to gablehead. Left bay with window at ground floor and tall wallhead stack with tall diagonal flues.

FORMER POLICE STATION: chamfered reveals. Single storey gabled linking bay to right of municipal buildings, doorway and window, carved frieze stating 'Police Station' above. 3-bay 2-storey block to right with single windows breaking eaves at 1st floor in semi-circular dormerheads to left and centre bay; gabled bay to right with bipartite windows.

Gabled return elevation to right with single windows and secondary doorway and apex stack.

116 and 118 SHORE STREET: 5-bay block to left of municipal buildings with 2 shops framing common stair doorway dated 1924 to centre. Bipartite and single windows to flats at 1st floor; 2 shouldered wallhead stacks.

122 Shore Street with small-pane metal windows over metal casements, timber sash and case windows with small upper sashes and plate glass or 2-pane lower sashes to flanking buildings. Green slate roofs with zinc dressings; apex and mutual stacks, 3 wallhead stacks (see above).

Ornamental embossed gutterheads.

INTERIOR: tiled vestibule walls, open timber stair, laurel wreath motifs to stained glass stair windows and as plaster decoration to walls; council chamber with ornamental plaster ceiling around oval coved ceiling.

Statement of Special Interest

Statutory address revised in 2016. Previously listed as 'Shore Street, Municipal Buildings, Police Station and Nos 116, 117 and 118 Shore Street'.

References

Bibliography

Walker, F. A. (1986) The South Clyde Estuary. Edinburgh: RIAS. p139.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 116, 118 and 122 Shore Street and 3 and 5 Kempock Place (former Municipal Buildings and Police Station), Gourock

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/06/2022 12:10