Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

103-111 (ODD NOS) FRENCH STREET, 34-66 (EVEN NOS) DORA STREET, (FORMER BARROWFIELD WEAVING FACTORY)LB33830

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/03/1993
Supplementary Information Updated
20/01/2017
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 60922 63188
Coordinates
260922, 663188

Description

Miles S Gibson, 1889-99. Large red brick factory complex built for John Brown & Son (see Notes). Principal elevation to French Street comprises 3-storey, 7-bay, pedimented centre range with similarly-detailed 2-storey, 11-bay range to E and tall 2-storey, 6-bay, 1891 polychrome range to W (roof altered). CENTRE RANGE with projecting cill band at 2nd floor and mutuled eaves cornice; segmental-arched openings; bays divided by pilaster-effect forming 2-storey shallow panels at ground and 1st floor, and blind arcaded panels at 2nd floor; oriel windows, raked cills and deep-set openings. EAST RANGE with similar top floor detail; segmental-arched openings; contrasting rounded glazed brick cills and brick voussoirs. WEST RANGE with decorative polychrome banding and eaves cornice (obscured), red ashlar dressings; pointed arch doorway and square-headed openings; oriel window, raked cills and brick mullions.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: largely regular fenestration throughout. Principal elevations to S (French Street). Centre range outer left bay with door and flanking narrow lights under fanlight, tall square-headed roller door at outer right; 2nd floor with ogee-capped bartizans flanking centre pediment; glazed oculus to each return gable. E range (to right) with 2 square-headed roller doors and pedimented roofline at left; gable with glazed oculus on left returns at Dora Street. W range (to left) with 2 deep-set doors, that to right in pointed-arch opening with wallhead stack above, bipartite and tripartite windows, canted oriel window at 1st floor right; decorative polychrome detail between floors and dividing 1st floor bays; piended roof (see Notes). To rear, long series of single storey north-lit weaving sheds.

Largely multi-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in fixed and timber sash and case windows. Some grey slate with horizontal cast iron rooflights and pyramidal ridge ventilators to E range; metal-sheeted roofs elsewhere.

Statement of Special Interest

The former Barrowfield Weaving Factory is an important industrial survival in an area which, by the mid 19th century, was a significant centre for weaving, dying and bleaching as well as having chemical and gas works. The factory largely retains its early appearance which effectively uses low relief panelling and blind arcading to make a significant contribution to the streetscape. The principal elevation at French Street is particularly fine and exhibits some very good polychrome decoration. The east range retains its original roof providing light from above with large horizontal rooflights. The taller centre range was originally similarly top-lit. The form of the west range roof has been altered at the Norman Street elevation from a broad gable over the outer (south end) 2 bays.

Barrowfield Weaving Factory was built for John Brown & Son at a cost of £8,300 and formerly encompassed French Street, Dora Street (formerly Jamieson Street), Poplin Street (formerly Adelphi Street) and Norman Street. John Brown & Son is described in the 1915 Commercial Year Book of the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce & Manufacturers, as "manufacturers of muslin draperies, Madras muslin and harness muslin". Quality muslin goods provided the Glasgow power-loom industry with a different selling point to the high-volume, low-value cloth coming from the Lancashire cotton industry.

The Dalmarnock area was developed later than neighbouring Bridgeton, with most of its industry introduced after 1860. The remaining evidence of this industrial past is mostly sited to the west of the main Dalmarnock Road.

The architect Miles Septimus Gibson was born in Glasgow in 1849. He commenced practice in 1880, having previously acted as supervising architect with Thomas Wilson at St Enoch's Railway Station and Hotel. He designed a number of churches for the Episcopal diocese of Glasgow, and in 1902 extended the now demolished Clutha Weaving Factory in nearby Carstairs Street, also for John Brown & Son.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

References

Bibliography

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs, Buildings of Scotland, Glasgow (1990), pp462-468. Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.scottisharchitects.org.uk[accessed 23.07.10]. 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps, Lanarkshire (1856-9, 1892-7). www.theglasgowstory.com (Ref: Mitchell Library, G381) [accessed 23.07.10]. www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk [accessed 23.07.10]. www.scran.ac.uk [accessed 23.07.10].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 103-111 (ODD NOS) FRENCH STREET, 34-66 (EVEN NOS) DORA STREET, (FORMER BARROWFIELD WEAVING FACTORY)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 02:42