Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

29-35 (ODD NOS) EAST CAMPBELL STREET, LODGING HOUSE MISSION INCLUDING HALL, VESTRYLB33829

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
24/01/2017
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 60060 64840
Coordinates
260060, 664840

Description

Haig and Low, 1863-4; interior alterations Wylie Wright and Wylie, 1932-3. Substantial, 2-storey, 5-bay, United Presbyterian church (replacing predecessor of 1792) in Italian Palazzo Cinquecento style with some neo-Greek details. Buff sandstone ashlar. Outer bays slightly advanced with giant Roman Doric pilasters; plain pilaster strips to central bays. Recessed round-arched triple doorways to ground, each with square Tuscan columns flanking; timber panelled 2-leaf doors. Horizontal string courses threaded behind giant order. Round-arched and corniced windows to 1st floor. Deep entablature with dentiled cornice and balustraded parapet above.

INTERIOR: floor added 1936 at balcony level; coombed ceiling with elaborate moulded plasterwork details and ceiling roses. Slender cast-iron columns with foliate capitals between windows.

FORMER VESTRY/HALL/SCHOOLROOM TO RIGHT (N): 2 storey, 3-bay hall following palazzo style. Lino-stoned ashlar. Bipartite windows to central bay; cast iron railings to ground floor windows. Round-arched windows to 1st floor. Moulded cornice, blocking course over with raised central section and pair of octagonal chimney cans.

Traditional glazing pattern and timber framed windows throughout, some with decorative panels and coloured margins. Cast iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

An impressive, well-proportioned and finely detailed United Presbyterian church built at a cost of £6,500 to seat 1400, making it one of the largest in Glasgow at that time. John Haig and David Paton Low won the commission in a limited design competition. The confident use of the Italian palazzo style and the detailing adds significantly to the interest of the streetscape. The galleries and seating were removed by architects, Wylie Wright and Wylie in 1932-3 and a floor was added to provide social centre accommodation at ground floor and continued use as a church on the upper floor.

The former vestry/hall/schoolroom to the right adds considerably to the group value here, contributing stylistic unity to the streetscape. Designed in a similar vein to the church, it is understood to have been built slightly earlier.

The Haig & Low partnership practiced in Glasgow from 1859 until 1875. John Haig was born in Glasgow. David Paton Low was from Dundee where he trained and from where he won the Soane Medallion. The partnership became prominent after winning third place in the Wallace Monument competition of 1859 but apart from the East Campbell Street Church its early success was not maintained.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

References

Bibliography

Building News, Feb 13th 1863, Williamson, Riches and Higgs, Buildings of Scotland, Glasgow (1990), p452. Sam Small, Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2008). Ordnance Survey Maps, Lanarkshire (1856-9, 1892-7, 1938-42). Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 20.10.10].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 29-35 (ODD NOS) EAST CAMPBELL STREET, LODGING HOUSE MISSION INCLUDING HALL, VESTRY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 05:42