Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 60710 63930
260710, 663930


John Cunningham, 1896. Classically-detailed 4-storey, red ashlar tenement with ground floor shops, prominently situated on gusset site wrapping around corner with dominant bowed corner and long elevation to Dalmarnock Road. Stone-cleaned sandstone ashlar; corniced shops, some with decorative consoles, 3rd floor cill course, corniced eaves lintel course and blocking course. Aediculed windows; semicircular and triangular pediments and cornices at 1st and 2nd floors; stone-mullioned bipartite, canted tripartite and bowed quadripartite windows.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: bowed corner with quadripartite windows above ground giving way to frieze with 'BRIDGETON CROSS MANSIONS' and curved pediment with flanking chimney dies and decorative brackets. Slated conical roof has ornamental ogee dome and decorative ironwork finial. Full-height (above ground) canted window bays punctuate regularly-disposed fenestration to Dalmarnock Street at NE. Main Street elevation to W comprises a short range of 5-bays above ground on with full-height canted window closing outer right bay.

Largely plate glass glazing in timber sash and case window. Coped ashlar stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Bridgeton Cross Mansions is a well-detailed tenement making a significant contribution to the streetscape with its dignified classical elements and unusual bowed corner treatment. It is situated at the junction of London Road and main routes to Gorbals, Rutherglen and Dalmarnock, and close to the separately listed cast iron octagonal Bridgeton Cross Shelter. The tenement is a rare survivor in an area which once boasted a "grid of tenement-lined main streets" (Williamson, Riches and Higgs).

John Cunningham was born in Aberdeen circa 1852. He moved to Glasgow soon after December 1875 and built up a large tenement practice. The design for Bridgeton Cross Mansions was not executed exactly in accordance with the drawings. It is a slightly earlier version of Cunningham's 1897 building at Duke Street and Hunter Street (listed separately) where the corner bay is very similar and has a public house at the ground floor. After his death in 1904, the practice was continued by Alexander L Kerr in Cunningham's name, only becoming Cunningham and Kerr in 1909.

Bridgeton was a weaving village built on the Barrowfield lands in 1705. It was known as Barrowfield until 1775-6 when the Rutherglen Bridge was built along with a new road to the north boundary, now known as Bridgeton Cross. The 18th century origins and much of the 19th century development have disappeared, except for the area around Bridgeton Cross.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.



Dean of Guild Records 1/5054 dated February 1896, amended May 1896. Architect details and references courtesy of Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council. Williamson, Riches and Higgs Buildings of Scotland, Glasgow (1990), pp462-466. Dictionary of Scottish Architects [accessed 22.07.10]. 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map, Lanarkshire (1892-7).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2-26 (EVEN NOS) DALMARNOCK ROAD AND 1-11 (ODD NOS) MAIN STREET BRIDGETON, BRIDGETON CROSS MANSIONS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/09/2022 06:30