Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

5-9 (ODD NOS) BRIDGETON CROSS, 1-11 (ODD NOS) DALMARNOCK ROADLB33819

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
13/03/1993
Supplementary Information Updated
20/01/2017
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 60719 63967
Coordinates
260719, 663967

Description

James Thomson, circa 1871. 4-storey, largely symmetrical, 16-bay classically detailed tenement, situated on prominent corner site with curved corner bays and altered offices and shops to ground. Sandstone ashlar with raised margins. Cornice to ground, cill courses, cornice, curved parapet to curved corner with inscribed BRIDGETON CROSS. Architraved windows above ground, those to 1st floor corniced, slightly advanced centre 6 bays also with scrolled consoles.

Predominantly non-traditional tilt and turn windows: some timber. Cutdown wallhead stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

This classically detailed tenement is situated at a prominent corner site and adds significantly to the streetscape of Bridgeton. At the centre of 7 roads, Bridgeton Cross is one of the main landmarks in the city and the curved corner of this tenement marks the street line effectively. Large tenement buildings such as this these are a feature of the wider Glasgow streetscape and many were built in the second half of the 19th century.

Bridgeton was a weaving village built on the Barrowfield lands in 1705. During the late 18th and early 19th centuries, it became a centre for textile manufacture. Housing conditions were often cramped and in the 1860s and 70s the area was compulsorily purchased and cleared by the City Improvement Trust in order to demolish the existing housing and erect new homes. This tenement dates from this time.

James Thomson, (1835-1905) was a Glasgow-based architect. His practice was one of the largest in Scotland during the 1870s and concentrated largely on commercial architecture, pioneering the idea of large city office blocks with shops built for rental. He was employed by the City Improvement Trust. The tenement was renovated in 1985.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, Lanarkshire, 1892-7. Aileen Smart, Villages of Glasgow, Volume 1, 1988, p49. Williamson, Riches and Higgs Buildings of Scotland, Glasgow (1990), p466. Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 24-08-10).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 5-9 (ODD NOS) BRIDGETON CROSS, 1-11 (ODD NOS) DALMARNOCK ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 11:15