Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

309-341 (ODD NOS) ABERCROMBY STREET, BURIAL GROUNDLB33811

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/03/1993
Supplementary Information Updated
24/01/2017
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 60531 64211
Coordinates
260531, 664211

Description

1786 with later expansion to S, 1822. Large rectangular-plan burial ground established by the Calton Incorporation of Weavers. Tall sandstone rubble boundary walls (that to rear collapsed) with 2 gateways to E elevation. Corniced and coped square sandstone ashlar gatepiers. Later cast iron gates.

MONUMENTS: series of 18th and 19th century stone monuments some set into boundary walls some freestanding; some with inscribed ashlar plot markers (see NOTES). 2 later (1831 and 1931) rectangular sandstone panels set into later sandstone ashlar triangular pedimented panel commemorating martyred weavers from 1787 strike (see NOTES).

Statement of Special Interest

The Calton Burial Ground is an early and rare example of an independent non-denominational burial ground in Glasgow. It is also important historically as the last surviving built component of the early independent weavers settlement at Calton.

Sited on ground between a former cotton mill and an iron foundry, it contains some good examples of burial markers from the period 1786 to the late 19th century. A number of the plots are marked with unusual single sandstone ashlar blocks with inscribed numbers, a device seen in later burial grounds elsewhere in the city.

The burial ground also contains a monument to the martyrs of the 1787 weavers strike. Three men from a group of striking weavers, protesting at changes to the price paid to weavers for muslin, killed by the military are interred in the burial ground. A weavers memorial is also set at the entrance to the 1822 extension. The 'martyrs memorial' has been re-located from the original burial lair of the three weavers at plot 83 to the boundary wall of the cemetery with renovation and possible replacement of the stones in 1831 and 1931. The original burial site at plot 83 is marked by a later pair of granite slabs (now cracked and laid on the ground - 2010) erected by the Glasgow Trades Council in 1957.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

References

Bibliography

John McArthur, Plan of the City of Glasgow, Gorbells and Calton, (1778); Ordnance Survey, 1st Edition Town Plan, (1857-58); Glasgow District Trades Council, Minute Book of the Incorporation of Weavers of Calton or Blackfaulds 1725-1786, (Glasgow city Archives TD 105); E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland – Glasgow (1990) p454; J. Black, The Glasgow Graveyard Guide, (1992); E. Eunson, Old Bridgeton and Calton, (1997); Austin Smith Lord, The Calton Burial Ground Abercromby Street, Glasgow, Conservation Management Plan, (2009).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 309-341 (ODD NOS) ABERCROMBY STREET, BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 01:22