Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

122 HELENVALE STREET, CALTON PARKHEAD CHURCH INCLUDING HALL, BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND RAILINGSLB33636

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
23/03/1992
Supplementary Information Updated
23/01/2017
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 62433 63848
Coordinates
262433, 663848

Description

Hutton & Taylor, 1934-5. Neo-Romanesque, Church of Scotland church with double height nave and single storey aisles, transverse aisle and narrow saddleback campanile to NE, 3-bay transept aisle to SE. Pair of single-storey halls in T-plan arrangement attached to S end. Red brick. Base course, brick mutules at wall- and gableheads. Round-headed windows with brick voussoirs.

N ELEVATION: entrance front, with pair of doorways beneath trio of stepped lancet windows. Single window to NE aisle. E ELEVATION: paired round-headed windows to clerestorey. Rectangular windows to aisle. Single lancet to NE transept. Trio of lancets to SE transept. S elevation: apsidal projection with dropped roof. Trio of lancets with coloured glass. Square chimneystack rising from ground. N hall, with flank to E: 3 sets of windows in Serlian arrangement, breaking through eaves. S hall, with gable to E: Serlian arrangement on gable. S elevation harled and with lancets breaking through eaves.

Multi-pane leaded glazing, some coloured glass. Rosemary tiles.

INTERIOR: basilica arrangement with brick arcades supported on grey stone columns. Plastered barrel vault with brick ridges and timber tie beams. Dias beneath chancel arch. Timber pews, pulpit and fittings. Transverse arrangement of pews in aisles. Stained glass includes crucifixion in chancel (1970) and St Luke in aisle (1971), by Gordon Webster.

BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND RAILINGS: dwarf walls with metal railings and gates to boundary.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of worship in use as such. Parkhead Church is a good early to mid 20th century example of the Neo-Romanesque style in Glasgow with the hall and church creating a well-balanced ensemble piece. The accomplished interior scheme is also of particular note. David Bateman Hutton (1880-1959) and Thomas Lumsden Taylor (1881-1944) were respected designers with an impressive pedigree by the time they started in practice together in 1906. Both had worked with James Miller, and Taylor had also been with Rowand Anderson & Paul and an assistant to John Honeyman. They built two churches, both won in competition and both in the neo-Romanesque style popular in the early 1930s. King's Park Parish Church (1931), in Castlemilk (see separate listing) has more of a Byzantine flavour. They won the competition for Newbank Church and Hall, now Calton Parkhead, using similar ideas but with a simpler more accomplished approach.

The original Calton Church was built in Tobago Street in 1793, it was one of the first Chapels of Ease to be established in the Barony Parish. In 1905 a small mission church had been built at the Helenvale Street site, and this was the site chosen for the current building. Named Calton Old (Newbank) Church when it opened in 1935, the building was renamed Calton Parkhead in 1977 when it was joined by the congregations of Parkhead Church and Dalmarnock Church.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

References

Bibliography

Architect & Building News July-Dec 1934, p318. Glasgow Herald Dec 1935. Williamson Riches & Higgs Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow (1990), p470. S Small Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2008), p.100. Ordnance Survey Map, Lanarkshire (1892-7, 1938-42). East End Glasgow History website: www.glasgowhistory.co.uk/Other%20Sections/100%20Churches/CaltonParkhead.htm www.glesga.ukpals.com/churches/caltonparkhead.htm [accessed 28.07.10]. Dictionary of Scottish Architects online http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=208239 [accessed July 2010].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 122 HELENVALE STREET, CALTON PARKHEAD CHURCH INCLUDING HALL, BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 11:17