Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 60886 64194
260886, 664194


Andrew Myles, 1896-7. 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular plan former engineering works, now part of Brook Street Business Complex at 47 Broad Street. Red brick with detailing in yellow brick. Pitched roof with later corrugated metal cladding. Some timber framed windows, others non-traditional. Load bearing brick and cast iron construction.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tripartite arrangement with gabled wallheads to the outer bays and dentilled cornice to the central section. Central bay has a large round-headed window with decorative astragals. E elevation: 25 arch-headed clerestorey windows to upper storey only, several blocked. Abutted by later single-storey building mid-way. Former openings to lower storey now bricked up.

N ELEVATION: blind gable with blocked openings, irregular stepped parapet and 2 later large brick buttresses. W wall obscured by later buildings. A number of windows are now blocked. Some window frames are of original pattern, others altered.

Statement of Special Interest

An important part of Glasgow's industrial heritage, the former Broad Street Engineering Works forms a significant component in this formerly heavily industrial area of the city. The building makes use of the basilica form in an industrial context with iron columns and a clerestorey with galleries. A glazed roof maximised lighting and the structural members carried gantries for machinery.

The original client, Mavor & Coulson, was an electrical engineering company, founded in 1881, which moved to this site from nearby Orr Street in 1897. As a result of its pioneering work in the design and manufacture of mining machinery the company expanded and subsequently erected a number of buildings on adjacent sites between Broad Street and Rogart Street over the next 60 years, making it one of the major employers in Bridgeton. The building cost £10,000 in 1896-7 at which time Mavor & Coulson Ltd's work extended abroad and included the wiring and lighting of the world's largest woollen mill near St Petersburg. They were also one of the first British companies to resume trading with Russia after the 1917 Revolution.

Andrew Myles (c1841-1905) was a prominent industrial architect. His many Glasgow commissions, mostly now demolished, included Howe's Sewing Machine Factory (1872) (see separate listing); Fairfield Engine Works Boiler Shop (1872), demolished; St Andrew's Power Station, 1900 (see separate listing). Until circa 1872 he was a partner in A Kennedy, Son & Myles, and was thereafter in practice under his own name. The building has more recently been encorporated into the Brook Street Business Complex at 47 Broad Street.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.



E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow (1990), p.462. S Small Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2008) p.97. J Hume The Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow (1974) F82. Dictionary of Scottish Architects [accessed July 2010]. Mitchell Library online [accessed July 2010]. 2nd and 3rd edition Ordnance Survey Maps, Lanarkshire (1892-7, 1933-42). Glasgow City Council (2010) Bridgeton Heritage Trail.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 41 BROAD STREET (ENGINEERING WORKS)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 12:49