Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

6 ROWAN ROAD CRAIGIE HALL, DUMBRECKLB33583

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
27/04/1978
Supplementary Information Updated
05/06/2019
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 55544 63936
Coordinates
255544, 663936

Description

6 Rowan Road is a large two-storey classical villa, built in 1872 to designs by the eminent architect John Honeyman and added to during the 1890s by his architectural partners John Keppie and Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

The 1872 villa is sandstone ashlar with chanelled rustication to the ground floor, minimal Italianate detailing, and hipped slate roofs. There is a three-bay entrance front to the north with a central doorpiece with paired Ionic columns and entablature with balustrade to the first floor window. To the west is a four-bay garden front facing Bellahouston Park. It has a canted bay with Ionic and Corinithian colonnettes, and carved aprons with the date 1872. There is an enriched pediment above the main cornice. To the outer right (returning to the rear) is a single storey billiard room addition with part-glazed roof and behind that, a single-storey 'winter-garden' room with a glazed lantern roof.

The pavilion-like addition to the east has coat of arms over two-storey canted bay with Art Nouveau glazing. Moulded cornice, left hand tripartite 1st floor, splayed bay ground floor, shouldered architraves linked to 1st floor cill band. The lower linking block (between the pavilion and the main body of the villa) has arched ground floor windows and a balustraded parapet.

There is also a detached outbuilding to the rear and a small courtyard entered between engaged gatepiers at the corners of the outbuilding and the pavilion wing.

High quality interior work throughout including inlaid parquet and tiled floors, Jacobean influenced plaster ceilings, enriched cornices, embossed friezes, painted dados, stained glass windows and panelled doors. The entrance hall and first floor hallways have marbled Corinthian columns and marbled walls, elaborately carved and gilded corbals and architraves. The staircase has decorative cast iron bannisters and a lion mask frieze. Embellishments by Keppie and Mackintosh during the early 1890s include pedimented Art Nouveau doors with tulip friezes in the main hall, fitted bookcases with swelling colonnettes, bird motifs, sinuous shelving and an inbuilt armchair beside the marble fireplace in the library. The white ante-drawing room has an elaborate fire surround and hardwood panelling. The former music room has a timber chimneypiece of 1897 by Mackintosh. Early 20th century fixtures and fittings include Art Deco light fittings by Lalique, Art Deco mirrored fireplaces and bathroom fittings.

The villa is surrounded by mature gardens with a sandstone boundary wall, gates with rusticated channelled piers and carved capstones.

Statement of Special Interest

6 Rowan Road is in important two-storey classical Glasgow villa with exceptionally fine interiors. It was built for merchant Joseph McLean by the eminent architect John Honeyman in 1872. Additions and embellishments were made by Honeyman's later partners, John Keppie and Charles Rennie Mackintosh (for new owner Thomas Mason) in 1892 and 1897. The villa is of oustanding significance for its rich classical interiors with Art Nouveau details evidencing the early development of the 'Glasgow Style' of interior design.

The villa is located at the south corner of Rowan Road in the villa suburb of Dumbreck. The villa retains a large garden with a good collection of mature trees and a large pond. To the west is Bellahouston Park with Charles Rennie Mackintosh's 'House for an Art Lover' (built posthumously 1991-96). To the east, on land previously belonging to Craigie Hall, is a development of ten late 20th century houses.

Thomas Mason named the villa 'Craigie Hall' when he purchased it in 1892. Mason, who was a stonemason turned building industrialist and engineering contractor, was responsible for carrying out many building works across Scotland including William Young's magnificent design for the Glasgow City Chambers (LB32691). The 1892-97 additions and alterations to Craigie Hall for Thomas Mason include a large 'winter-garden' room under a glazed lantern roof and a billiard room with a part glazed, part barrel-vaulted ceiling. Three of the doorcases in the main hall, and the shelves, leaded glass, fireplace and built-in corner seat in the library all blend classical forms with Art Noveau detail in the early 'Glasgow Style'. An elaborate chimneypiece, also in the Glasgow Style and probably by Mackintosh, remains at one end of the former music room. While there are no surviving documents to prove Mackintosh designed the embellishments to the library and other key rooms, they are accepted as his work on stylistic grounds (Mackintosh Architecture, Context Making and Meaning) evidencing his developing approach to interior design.

Cinema owner Fred Green of Green's Playhouse bought the villa in 1929. It was sensitively refurbished around 1980 as office accommodation, retaining all its important interiors. The property was divided into three self-contained residences in 2014. A series of mitigating circumstances led to the authorised removal of the unique mahogany pipe organ case, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, from the music room (now remodelled as a kitchen). The ornate organ case, designed specifically to fit the dimensions of the former music room at Craigie Hall, is currently in storage (2019) awaiting reassembly and permanent display within a Glasgow museum.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.

Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). Another example of a large Glasgow villa that was substantially extended by Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh is Lilybank House (LB32853, category A). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907. Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts'. This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.

Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.

Listed building record revised in 2019.

References

Bibliography

References:

Maps

Ordnance Survey (Surveyed 1858, Published) Glasgow Town Plan, 1st Edition, 25 inch to 1 mile, Ordnance Survey, Southampton

Ordnance Survey (Revised 1894, Published) Glasgow Town Plan, 2nd Edition, 25 inch to 1 mile, Ordnance Survey, Southampton

Archives

Hunterian Museum & Art Gallery, Mackintosh Collection, Honeyman & Keppie and Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh Job Books for 1872 and 1892, Ref. GLAHA 53061-3

Printed Sources

Billcliffe R (2009) Charles Rennie Mackintosh: The Complete Furniture, Furniture Drawings and Interior Designs, Moffat: Cameron & Hollis, 4th edn, pp.27–8, 45–6.

Brown, A (2018) Charles Rennie Mackintosh Making the Glasgow Style. Glasgow: Glasgow Museums.

Crawford, A (1995) Charles Rennie Mackintosh. London: Thomas and Hudson.

Cooper, J. (editor) (1984) Mackintosh architecture: the complete buildings and selected projects. London: Academy.

Gomme A, Walker D (1968) Architecture of Glasgow, London and Glasgow: Lund Humphries Ltd.

Howarth, T. (1977) Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd.

McKean C, Walker D, Walker F (1989) Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, Edinburgh: Rutland Press.

Neat, T. & McDermott, G. (2002) Closing The Circle Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. Aberdour: Inyx publishing.

Robertson, P. (editor) (1990) Mackintosh: The Architectural Papers. Wendlebury: White Cockade Publishing.

Williamson E, Riches A and Higgs M (1990) Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow. London: Penguin Books Ltd, p.582.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200362 [accessed 30/05/2019].

University of Glasgow, Mackintosh Architecture, M069 Additions and alterations to Craigie Hall at

https://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla.ac.uk/catalogue/freetext/display/?rs=4&q=craigie%20hall [accessed 2019]

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 ROWAN ROAD CRAIGIE HALL, DUMBRECK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 15:53