Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

11 ELDON STREET, PARK DRIVE, PARK AVENUE, ST ANDREW'S TEACHERS TRAINING COLLEGE, FORMER QUEEN'S COLLEGE, WITH RAILINGSLB33548

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/04/1992
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57482 66602
Coordinates
257482, 666602

Description

Walter Robert Watson, of Cowan and Watson, 1913. Rectangular plan educational establishment with Late Renaissance detailing sited on falling ground with light well to rear and 3-storey (3rd as classical attic) with basement and mansard attic. Red sandstone ashlar, bull-faced to basement with frieze and string course above; channelled pilasters to pedimented bays pilaster quoins to E angle dentilled cornice above 1st floor; cornice and ashlar balustrade with moulded dies at wallhead. Architraved windows.

SW (Park Drive) elevation: 19 symmetrical bays (3-1-5-1-5-1-3) with doorways in outer single bays. Doorpieces comprised of banded pilasters below substantial consoles bearing dentilled segmental-arched stone hood, surrounding round-arched, keystoned doorways with fanlights. 2-leaf panelled doors; Basement recess oversailed with bridges and railings. Single bays each with pediment above 1st floor and eaves cornice arched over segmental 2nd floor segmental windows. Ground floor windows of 11 centre bays and penultimate bays with swept trapezoid pediments carved in recess with cornucopiae. Narrower windows flanking those in penultimate bays at each floor.

SE (Park Avenue) elevation: 10-bay, broad blank bay to outer left with moulded wallhead stack breaking balustrade on Renaissance corbel. Entrance bays (3rd and 7th from left) with pediments above 1st floor windows; round-arched doorway to stair in 3rd bay with keystone and voussoirs; stair windows above, round-arched with broken pediment at 1st floor. Carved pediments (as above) to all other ground floor windows. Secondary door to basement on falling ground with keystone in 7th bay.

6-, 8-, and 12-pane windows (latter predominating) with top hoppers. Red sandstone, corniced stacks. Copper mansard sited toward main elevation with window to each bay and ventilators.

Substantial additions to NW, James Monro and Son, 1938, and to NE, Building Design Partnership, 1976.

Interior: not seen, 1991.

Railings: decorative cast-iron railings to SW with moulded ashlar posts and polygonal caps at intervals.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Glasgow and West Of Scotland College of Domestic Science, created in 1908 by merger of West End School of Cookery and the larger Glasgow School. Before it opened its doors to students it served as a hospital for officers during the First World War. Renamed Queen's College in 1975 when the college chose to diversify. Taken over as St Andrew's Teachers Training College 2002 when new entrance from Eldon Street established.

References

Bibliography

D of G Ref. 1913/234. B 6th May 1938. Simon Berry, Hamish Whyte Glasgow Observed (1987) p68. Information courtesy of College Estates Manager.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 11 ELDON STREET, PARK DRIVE, PARK AVENUE, ST ANDREW'S TEACHERS TRAINING COLLEGE, FORMER QUEEN'S COLLEGE, WITH RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 23:59