Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 56058 67429
256058, 667429


Circa 1865. Italianate villa by boucher & cousland (one of a sequence by them in the area), now flat-roofed with stacks removed; substantial addition designed by firm of john Honeyman & Keppie circa 1901, for J T Tullis, and built in 1901-2.

ORIGINAL VILLA: 2-storeyed over basement, distinctive round-arched windows at 1st floor - single/grouped lights, pilastered jambs and mullions, framed in shallow-recessed square panels; square-headed windows at ground floor. Plate glass sashes. Square columned porch recessed in angle, main front otherwise L-plan, 2-bay at ground with large windows lighting public rooms; 3-bay at 1st floor. Painted ashlar; decorative eaves detailing replaced/concealed by modern fascia.

Interior retains much original decorative plasterwork and timberwork; chimneypieces; cast-iron stair balustrad, with lion rampant and thistle detail, is unusually elaborate.

ADDITION: is tall and rectangular plan, and is squeezed in to area between villa and service block, both of which adjoin; on 4 levels, close-spaced fenestration, parapet conceals roof. Pend at basement level. At 1st floor series distinctive paired small lights to billiard room. Polished ashlar to front, snecked rubble to garden; mostly original glazing (mainly 2-pane lower, small paned upper sashes). Stripped "edwardian" baroque detail to exterior, interior withg extensive art nouveau ornament - chimneypieces, kitchen units and screens and panelling (eg on stair).

SERVICE COURT: (including Mews Cottage) comprises 2 parallel ranges, both whitewashed ashlar and rubble. slate-roofed range adjoins house; separate range with added wing and modern concrete-tiled roof is now (1991) a separate house. Gatepiers close court.



BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, GLASGOW; Williamson, Riches, Higgs (1991),

SRA for Dean of Guild plan of additions, Ref 1/8405.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3 SYDENHAM ROAD, INCLUDING MEWS COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 12:11