Horne, supervised by A B McDonald, 1901, dated 1903, opened
1904. 3-storey 3-bay Edwardian Baroque, ashlar front, brick
sides. Central paired entrance with mezzanine window inserted
below decorative frieze and scrolled pediment. Flanking bays
have bipartite at ground and mezzanine. Cornice over
mezzanine. Giant pilasters supporting pediment flank central
bay through 1st and 2nd floors. 1st floor central 4–light
window with 3 Ionic columns and 2 flanking oculi. 2nd floor
Diocletian window, 2 flanking windows with balconies and open
segmental pediments. Dentil main cornice, pediment, deep
parapet and 2 urns. To E 2-storey entrance to public library
with dwarf columns and mezzanine. 1st floor aedicule niche
with statue. Cornice and modern attic.
W elevation: 1st 3 bays ashlar. Ground floor 2 corniced doors
and bipartite with mezzanines. 2 oculi, 1 blocked, and plaque
dated 1903. 2nd floor 3 windows, 1 retaining segmental
pediment and balustrade. Rest of facade is brick, 3-storey by
7-bays fronting the halls. Small 1st floor windows blocked.
2-storey 8-bay rear projection for library and 2-storey 3-bay
Police Office with sandstone dressings beyond.
Interior: Large hall over small hall. Separate glazed tile
entrance passage to library which retains some wooden
panelling, elaborate cast-iron brackets for Corinthian
colonnade and fine panelled roof.