Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 58355 65893
258355, 665893


Honeyman, Keppie and Mackintosh, 1904, reconstructed Herbert Barker, 1932. Six-storey, five- by three-bay office block, highly glazed with Mannerist detailing to attic and pavilion corners, with three shops at ground and fifth floor as attic storey. Sandstone ashlar with largely blank, brick rear (west) and side (south) elevation. Deep frieze and cornice at first floor cill course above ground. Tripartite windows to first through gallery-effect fourth floor. Moulded cills and cill course linking centre bays; deep continuous apron to fourth floor windows. Modillioned cornice.

East (Pitt Street) elevation: modern shop fronts. Slender pilasters flanking outer bays above ground, panelled divisions flanking centre windows. Timber tripartite windows at first floor with round-arched glazing over centre light. Corinthian column- mullions to second and third floor windows of centre bays; gently canted windows in outer bays at second and third floors, bracketted above first floor and with frieze as parapet at fourth bearing blank panel at centre. Deep-set windows at fourth floor with architraved surrounds. Tall attic floor with single windows to each bay, each with roll-moulded surround, moulded lintel, keystone and keystoned semi-circular pediment; outer pavilion bays slightly advanced with windows set in Mannerist aedicules, comprised of pedimented centre section breaking eaves with moulded detail above window, and breaking through lower pediment on paired, engaged and banded columns.

North (Sauchiehall Street) elevation: three-bays detailed as east elevation minus second and fourth bays. Fixed-pane timber windows, top hoppers, casement and sash and case, mostly with plate glass glazing. Flat roof. Substantial wallhead chimneystack to west.

Statement of Special Interest

Built to the designs of Glasgow-based firm Honeyman, Keppie and Mackintosh in 1903-06, the building was designed as a furniture shop for James Simpson & Sons, cabinetmakers and upholsterers. The approved drawings are signed by John Keppie and the style of the building indicates that he was repsonsible for the design. There is no documentary evidence to suggest that Charles Rennie Mackintosh had any involvement (Mackintosh Architecture).

Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. His reputation is as a pioneer of Modernism but his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.

Mackintosh is associated with over 150 wide-ranging design projects including work with the practice of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). His most significant work, during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art built in two phases from 1897 and culminating in the outstanding library of 1907. The German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts' is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings. Other key examples of his work include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761).

Listed building record revised in 2019.




Printed Sources

BJ, 28 November 1906 (accessed 1988).

Brown, A (2018) Charles Rennie Mackintosh Making the Glasgow Style. Glasgow: Glasgow Museums.

Builder, 30 December 1932, p 1112 (accessed 1988).

Crawford, A (1995) Charles Rennie Mackintosh. London: Thomas and Hudson.

Cooper, J. (editor) (1984) Mackintosh architecture: the complete buildings and selected projects. London: Academy.

Howarth, T. (1977) Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd.

Neat, T. & McDermott, G. (2002) Closing The Circle Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. Aberdour: Inyx publishing.

Robertson, P. (editor) (1990) Mackintosh: The Architectural Papers. Wendlebury: White Cockade Publishing.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, (accessed 30/05/2019).

University of Glasgow, Mackintosh Architecture, M242 309–313 Sauchiehall Street, (accessed 03/06/2019).


Information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit (1988).

Additional information by courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow Council (1988).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 201, 203 PITT STREET AND 309-313 (ODD NOS) SAUCHIEHALL STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/06/2023 03:22