Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

217-245A (ODD NOS) ST VINCENT STREET AND 79 BLYTHSWOOD STREET, 128 ST VINCENT LANELB33149

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
04/06/2019
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58447 65525
Coordinates
258447, 665525

Description

Symmetrical block of terraced classical houses built around 1825, between Blythswood Street and Douglas Street. No 233 extended 1896 by three-storey extension to rear by John Honeyman and Keppie (demolished 1989). Nos 231-233 redeveloped behind facade. Two- and three- storeys and basement. Ashlar, (No 239 stuccoed), rusticated at ground floor with voussoired window lintels, droved ashlar basement. Centre and end houses three-storeys, remainder two-storey except storey added to No 223; three-bays each house. Entries at heads of steps oversailing basement area, Roman Doric columned porticos, paired except at east end; Nos 225 and 227 altered to double entry with Gibbs surround architraves and continuous cornice. Double entry pilastered doorpiece at west house. 1896 front door to No 233 by John Honeyman and Keppie. Architraves and cornices first floor with apron panels, consoled cornices to three-storey blocks, also with pedimented central window at first floor. Eaves cornice, mutule at three-storey blocks, and blocking course.

Blythswood Street elevation: five-bays to original; second from north blank except in basement; same detailing as to St Vincent Street. Four later bays to left respecting floor levels and masonry finishes, but with bipartite and canted windows in outer bays, and mansard roof.

Douglas Street elevation: three-bays continuing main elevation detailing.

Interiors: include cast iron staircase balusters. No 233 has some decorative interior fittings by John Honeyman and Keppie, 1896, including doors, decorative woodwork panelling, roof trusses and a plaster-cast frieze of part of the Elgin marbles plaster-cast frieze. These were retained but installed in new locations during 1989 work (Mackintosh Architecture, 2014).

1989: No 229 redeveloped behind facade. 1896 John Honeyman and Keppie roof trusses from No 233 were reused in the new rear building at this number.

Statement of Special Interest

The terrace formed part of the redevelopment of the Blythswood estate as a spacious 'new town', located to the west Glasgow's over-populated city centre. The terrace was converted for commercial use in the late 19th century, as residents moved out to the developing West End and southern suburbs.

The addition to the rear, (79 Blythswood Street and 128 St Vincent Lane) which contained a workshop, showroom and offices with a studio located in the attic, was designed by Neil Campbell Duff for George Miller and built 1901-2.

In 1896 John Honeyman & Keppie were commissioned to design a three-storey addition at the rear of No 233 for H. L. Anderson & Co., house-painters, gilders and paper-hangers. A new front door was installed as part of this work, as well as internal decorative fittings that included new doors, decorative woodwork panelling, a newel post to the main stair and a plaster-cast frieze of part of the Elgin Marbles. The rear addition was demolished in 1988–9 but the roof trusses were retained and relocated. Much of the interior decorative fittings that were inserted in 1896 survive but have been relocated (Mackintosh Architecture, 2014).

The style and forms of the structural and decorative woodwork in No 233 suggests that Charles Rennie Mackintosh, who was then working for John Honeyman and Keppie, contributed to the design. The front and internal doors are similar in design and date to those he designed at Ferndean, Barrhead (LB51578). The carved stair newel post, originally to the main stair, features low-relief designs that recall the mid-1880s work of 'The Four'. This was removed around 1989 and is now in the hall at Queen's Cross church (LB33764) (Mackintosh Architecture, 2014).

Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.

Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907.

Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts'. This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.

Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.

Listed building record revised in 2019.

References

Bibliography

References:

Archives

Drawings in Glasgow City Archives. D O G Ref 1/8246, (petition 4 April 1901).

Printed Sources

Brown, A (2018) Charles Rennie Mackintosh Making the Glasgow Style. Glasgow: Glasgow Museums.

Crawford, A (1995) Charles Rennie Mackintosh. London: Thomas and Hudson.

Cooper, J. (editor) (1984) Mackintosh architecture: the complete buildings and selected projects. London: Academy.

Gomme and Walker (1968) The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, p 295.

Howarth, T. (1977) Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd.

Neat, T. & McDermott, G. (2002) Closing The Circle Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. Aberdour: Inyx publishing.

Robertson, P. (editor) (1990) Mackintosh: The Architectural Papers. Wendlebury: White Cockade Publishing.

Scottish Field Nov 1965.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200362 (accessed 30/05/2019).

University of Glasgow, Mackintosh Architecture, M159 Additions and alterations to 233 St Vincent Street, https://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla.ac.uk/catalogue/freetext/display/?rs=4&xml=int&q=233 (accessed 04/06/2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 217-245A (ODD NOS) ST VINCENT STREET AND 79 BLYTHSWOOD STREET, 128 ST VINCENT LANE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 21:07