Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

63-77 (ODD NOS) NELSON MANDELA PLACE, WEST GEORGE STREET WITH 153-159 (ODD NOS) BUCHANAN STREET, FORMER GLASGOW STOCK EXCHANGELB33089

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59024 65465
Coordinates
259024, 665465

Description

John Burnet 1875-7; Sir J J Burnet western addition 1894-8 and 1904, re-cast behind the facade. 3 and 4-storey commercial building with modern shops at ground floor. Venetian Gothic. 4 x 9 bays, original block 4 x 5 bays, 4-bay W addition arranged 3-1. Polished ashlar with deep geometric 1st floor frieze.

Corner 4 x 5 bay E block arranged 1-3 and 4-1: boldly arcaded ground and 1st floor with stylised columns and corner pilasters, sculpted roundels in spandrels, bipartite windows in tympana; 2nd floor continuous fenestration behind arcade with sculpted colonnettes, panels in blank frieze above, figure sculpture to N and E at NE corner; advanced entrance bays to W and S, corbel arched balcony with sculpted figure stops at SE entrance, single column supporting corbelled table at NW. Continuous elaborately bracketted cornice; parapet, pierced before windows, 3 bipartite, arched dormers with finials to Buchanan Street, 1 to Nelson Mandela Place, larger dormers with balconies in front over entrance bays, coped gable with finial, 2 bipartite windows with circular window over to NE bay.

Slate roofs of varying heights and pitch.

W BAYS TO NELSON MANDELA PLACE: tall arcade in 1st 3 E bays with slim colonnettes rising through 1st and 2nd floor, geometric frieze, bracketted cornice. 3 window single W outer bay, arcaded 1st floor with coupled colonnettes, slim colonnettes; segmental heads rising through 2nd and 3rd floor, corbelled balcony to 4th floor before aedicule window with tracery as NE block. Narrow additional W bay with similar detailing, corbelled balcony to 1st floor window.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly St George's Place.

References

Bibliography

B N March 2, 1877. Doak (ed) 1977 No 98, Gomme and Walker 1968 pp 160, 178, 255, 297. BI July 15, 1904. Glasgow City Archives Frank Worsdall Collection, Ref A488 for Burnet's original drawings, dated 1874 and A489 for J J Burnet's extension, dated June 1903. Additional information by courtesy of Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 63-77 (ODD NOS) NELSON MANDELA PLACE, WEST GEORGE STREET WITH 153-159 (ODD NOS) BUCHANAN STREET, FORMER GLASGOW STOCK EXCHANGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/07/2021 12:22