Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

18-22 (EVEN NOS) JAMAICA STREETLB33063

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58798 65056
Coordinates
258798, 665056

Description

Circa 1860. Classical 5-storey commercial building with Grand Central Cinema inserted from basement to second floor, 1914-16, by William B Whitie floor, 7 bays. Iron framed; polished ashlar facing. Plain Ionic glazed pilastrade at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors; later keyblocked arched window with panelled spandrels and sculpted frieze at 1st floor centre; panelled bays above with altered cast-iron balconies in front. All windows casement with glazing bars. 14-light arched pilastrade at 4th floor. Plain frieze, modillion cornice.

Statement of Special Interest

The conversion of warehouse premises to the Grand Central Cinema seated 750. After closure in 1966, the cinema remained empty until 1973 when it re-opened as the smaller (seating 365) Classic Grand. The name changed in 1985 to the Cannon Grand, and again to the Curzon before closure in 1992. The Cinema Theatre Association note that the building was subsequently used as an amusement arcade and nightclub, and was damaged by fire in 2001 but the cinema area is once again in use as the venue the Classic Grand. They also understand that the original ceiling and the upper part of the proscenium arch are extant.

References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker, 1968 p 291. Dean of Guild Ref, for cinema, 1914/114 (12 March 1914). Drawings amended in motion of 12 November 1914, completed 28 September 1916. Additional information courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow District Council. Further information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association: www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 12.02.08).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 18-22 (EVEN NOS) JAMAICA STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 11:41