John Burnet Sen, circa 1847. 2 and 3-storey with basement,
classical terrace. 51 bays, arranged 5-18-6-17-6 to Sauchiehall
Street and 5-bay return to Claremont Street. Ends raised 1
storey. Painted ashlar, droved ashlar rear elevation and
basement, ashlar dividing walls. Mostly sash and case windows,
all windows in architraves.
5-bay eastern end section; central tripartite pilastered
doorpiece, 2 similar doorpieces in outer bays of centre and
western end; central bays with architraved, corniced doorpieces,
coupled at Nos 16 and 17. Cill band, moulded cills, aprons to
ground and 1st floor windows latter corniced. Eaves cornice,
parapet; partially removed; axial corniced stacks.
ELEVATION TO CLAREMONT STREET: 2nd bay from N blind; central
corniced doorpiece altered to T-pane casement window; S
ground floor window altered to entrance. Original cast-iron
railings. Lettered stone at Fitzroy Place Lane elevation
inscribed 'GLASGOW BOTANIC GARDEN, INSTITUTED 1817'.
INTERIOR: interior work includes at No 10 by Oscar Patterson
circa 1906 leaded glass door. Hall screen with full entablature,