Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 56773 66831
256773, 666831


John James Burnet (Burnet, Son and Campbell), 1904. 3-storey and attic, asymmetrical 3-bay Renaissance terraced house. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Anta pillars and pilasters flanking doorway and canted bay to right forming portico and supporting 1st floor solid parapet with cast-iron plant boxes, single light and tripartite windows in N bays. Canted bay rising from 1st to 2nd floor in N bay with windows in recessed margins, corbelled out at 2nd floor. Set back tripartite gabled dormer with tall, narrow, attached stack to right. Plain windows in S bays. 2nd floor modillion cornice in S bays, corniced tripartite dormer above.

Timber sash and case windows with glazing bars, 6-pane upper sashes to 1st floor windows. Slate roof; corniced mutual and wallhead stacks.

INTERIOR (seen 1988): carved timber entrance hall chimneypiece. Stained glass hall light. Ground floor room with columned, raised area. Extensive timber panelling. Carved timber newels. Open carved timber 1st floor screen.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS: boundary walls and piers with cushion capped pier to right of entrance steps; short length of cast-iron railing to left of entrance; other railings now missing.

Statement of Special Interest

14 University Gardens forms an A-Group with 2-10 University Gardens, 12 University Gardens, 1 University Gardens and 11-13 University Gardens (see separate listings)14 University Avenue is of outstanding interest as a virtually intact high quality townhouse by the nationally significant architect John James Burnet. The architectural design is executed in high quality materials and exhibits a range of features in the Renaissance style, including a prominent doorpiece flanked by anta pilasters and a ground floor portico. The interior is highly detailed and survives with little alteration. Details of note include a columned ground floor room and staircase with elaborately carved newels. The design is characteristic of Burnet's move to the so call 'free style' of architecture which rejected a scholarly use of historicist styles in favour of a freer use of traditional architectural methods and motifs, as seen in the combination of architectural devices in the design for University Gardens.

Of outstanding interest as an intact high-quality townhouse by the major Glasgow architect, John James Burnet. The house is now in use as a University departmental building, but retains many fine interior features from the period of its construction.

Dean of Guild records show that No. 14 University Gardens was commissioned by William Bottomley from John Burnet & Son. Bottomley was a patent agent of the firm Bottomley & Liddle.

John James Burnet was one of Scotland's leading architects in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Son of another architect, John Burnet Senior, he trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Burnet was a pioneer of the stylistic move from historicist styles to a tradition-based, but free-style architecture. He developed enormously successful and influential practices in Glasgow and London, designing a number of eminent buildings including the Fine Art Institute, Athenaeum Theatre, Charing Cross Mansions, Atlantic Chambers and Clyde Navigation Trust Offices in Glasgow and the Kodak Building, the second and third phases of Selfridges, Adelaide House, and the King Edward VII Wing at the British Museum in London. Burnet was knighted for the latter project in 1914. Commissions for the University of Glasgow included: the Bower Building (1900), Anatomical (Thomson) Building (1900-01), James Watt Engineering North Building (1901 and 1908), University Chapel (1923-29), Zoology Building (1923), and Hunter Memorial (1925). The neighbouring Glasgow Western Infirmary also employed Burnet Sr and John James Burnet for a number of projects.

Formerly listed as '14 University Gardens'. Originally known as 'Saughfield Crescent'.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website



Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1894; Glasgow University Archives, Drawings Collection Ref. GB 0248 GUA BUL/6/49/1; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, Ref. 2/50; information on William Bottomley, who previously lived at 15 University Gardens, in Glasgow Post Office Directory 1893-94; D Walker 'John James Burnet' in Edwardian Architecture & its Origins (A Service, ed.), (1975) pp. 200, 214 n33; A M Doak (ed.), Glasgow at a Glance - An Architectural Handbook, (1977) No. 161; A Gomme, D Walker, Architecture of Glasgow, (1987); C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 187; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 348-349; Gordon R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road - An Illustrated History of Glasgow's West End, (2000), pp. 174, 181; 'University Gardens' buildings search at (accessed 03-03-2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING D15, 14 UNIVERSITY GARDENS INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 07:46