Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING D16, 1-17 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) LILYBANK GARDENS INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGSLB32886

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/01/1985
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56721 66960
Coordinates
256721, 666960

Description

John Cunningham, Lindsay and Benzie, A G Robertson, David Wylie, 1880-93. 17 houses remaining of a terrace (originally 20 houses). 5 similar styles of 2-storey, attic and basement houses. Yellow sandstone ashlar.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: NO 1: John Cunningham, 1883. 3 full storeys and tall basement corner block. Ashlar, droved to basement channelled to ground floor. Entrance in Great George Street, anta pillared portico with pierced parapet. 4-bay elevation, wider E bay, canted to 1st floor, cornices between floors, main dentilled cornice and blocking course continue into W 2-bay Lilybank Gardens elevations. Single bay with similar canted window. NOS 2-5: John Cunningham, 1880. 2-storey and attic (basements to Nos 2 and 3) 2-bay. Channelled to ground floor. Door at head of steps, narrow side lights, full-height canted bay, Mansard roof, dormers. NOS 6-9: A G Robertson, 1880. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay. Tall doors with elongated pilasters dividing from side lights, single windows above with Thomsonesque dwarf Ionic pilaster in 1/3 architraves. Full-height canted bay. Mansard roof, dormers. NOS 10-15: Lindsay and Benzie (Nos 10-13), 1881-83. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay, wide 2-leaf panelled doors, full-height canted bay. Mansard roof, dormers (1 arched). NOS 16-17: David Wylie, 1893. 2-storey and attic over basement. 2-bay S with double-leaf panelled door and 1 window, 2 windows in 1st, full-height canted bay to N. Mansard roof with 3 dormers, 2 small and arched.

INTERIORS: (Nos 4-7 seen 2010). Buildings are now interconnected, but numerous original details survive in each house including: room plans; elaborate decorative plasterwork; timber balustraded staircases; timber dado panelling; marble and timber fireplaces; glazed vestibule doors with etched or stained glass; stained glass upper sashes; timber paneled shutters.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slate Mansard roofs with dormers.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: Boundary walls and entrance steps with decorative cast-iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Lilybank Terrace is a long terrace of high quality townhouses, dating from the late 1880s and retaining a number of exterior and interior details from this period. The development of terraced townhouses is characteristic of the second phase of residential development in the Hillhead area, following the earlier construction of large detached villas. The terrace is well detailed with a characteristic Classical design, including prominent canted bays. The interiors survive relatively unaltered, with good detailing including elaborate cornicing and some timber dado panelling, all of which are characteristic of this period of development.

Of interest as a long terrace of high-quality townhouses of the 1880s, retaining many interior features of the period.

The street was laid out by Waddell and Fletcher on the lower grounds of Lilybank House and set around a central garden. The W side of the terrace was demolished circa 1970 to make way for the University's Boyd Orr Building and later Geology Building (1980).

Formerly listed as '1-17 (Inclusive Nos) Lilybank Gardens, University of Glasgow'.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1894; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, Refs. 1/2891, H/107, H/108, H/109, H/121, H/127, H/139, H/155; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 186; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 352-353; Gordon R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road - An Illustrated History of Glasgow's West End, (2000), pp. 178, 180-181; 'Lilybank Gardens' buildings search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 03-03-2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING D16, 1-17 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) LILYBANK GARDENS INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 21:13