James Miller, 1893-94. Gothic church with basement,
cruciform with apsed chancel. Snecked and stugged
ashlar with polished dressings. Gabled front with angle
buttresses and octagonal turrets. Pointed arched door
set in moulded reveals with nook shafts, gable over and
flanking buttresses. 2 small windows to either side with
cill course and linked hoodmoulds. Stringcourse over
forming cill band for 3 2-light windows each with
quatrefoil, continuous hoodmould. Vesica and cross to
Porch to right with flanking buttresses and arched side
door; single lancet to ground floor and 4-light window
with cusped tracery over; lean-to roof.
4-light mullioned and transomed windows to basement with
segmental relieving arch and cill course to ground floor
3-light arched windows inset in arches. Transepts with
angle and centre buttresses flanked by 2-light arched
windows. 5-sided apse with 3 lancets and facetted roof
flanked by 2 gabled side chapels; asymmetrical offices
with octagonal stair turret. Green slate roofs with
Interior: aisleless nave, small gallery over vestibule.
Hammerbeam room. Single column and arches to
transepts. Chancel with centre arch and 2 side arches.
Stained glass in apse. Christ flanked by Sts James and
John. Cast-iron columned basements.