Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

10 DUMBARTON ROAD, MAGGIE'S CENTRE, FORMER WESTERN INFIRMARY GATE LODGELB32866

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
02/08/1993
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56494 66484
Coordinates
256494, 666484

Description

Circa 1870 and late 19th century. John Burnet senior with an addition by J J Burnet; Single storey and attic asymmetrical Scots Baronial lodge, with tower (probably above stair) to centre. Red sandstone ashlar, now mostly rendered. Base, string and eaves courses. Crow stepped gables to S and W elevations.

W (entrance) elevation: doorway in re-entrant angle of single storey wing to right, narrow window flanking to left; shallow pitched porch roof. Advanced single storey and attic, gabled bay to left with chamfered angles at ground, corbelled to square above, window to centre at ground floor, narrow windows to chamfered angles (window to left blocked). Attic window to centre. Round-arched pedestrian gateway abutting porch to right, decorative cast-iron gate, round-arched pediment above cornice flanked by ball finials. Round, ashlar gate pier to left with conical cap.

S (Dumbarton Road) elevation: advanced gabled bay to left with chamfered angles at ground corbelled to square above, tripartite window at ground, bipartite attic window. Single storey wing recessed to right with tripartite window to centre; crenellated parapet. Facade extended to right incorporating round-arched pedestrian gateway and linked to gabled gateway with round-arched opening. Cast-iron gates.

E elevation: doorway to centre; bipartite window to left. Single storey and attic gabled bay to right with tripartite window to centre at ground, bipartite attic window above. Modern flat roofed extension to right.

2-pane sash and case windows (many now boarded up). Grey slate roof; dormer with half-piended roof to E, and with flat roof to N; ashlar coped skews and skewputts to gables. Crenellated tower to centre of roof with stacks rising at angles; broad ashlar stack abutting to N.

Interior: not seen.

Statement of Special Interest

This building seems to have been built as semi-detached lodges for the Western Infirmary and Glasgow University. From the design, there is no doubt that it formed part of J Burnet Senior's designs for the Western Infirmary of 1870; the chimney detail at the back of the tower looks like the work of J J Burnet. Part of Kelvingrove Park West B group, comprising Partick Bridge over River Kelvin, Partick Sewage Pumping Station, Anderson's College, The Snow Bridge, 2-4 Dumbarton Road Sunlight Cottages, University Main Block, Art Gallery and Museum and The Cameronians Monument.

References

Bibliography

1st and 2nd edition OS Map of Glasgow, 1857 and 1894. Information courtesy of Dr David Walker.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 10 DUMBARTON ROAD, MAGGIE'S CENTRE, FORMER WESTERN INFIRMARY GATE LODGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2024 23:21