Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

62 CHURCH STREET, 10C DUMBARTON ROAD, WESTERN INFIRMARY, OUTPATIENTS AND DISPENSARY, INCLUDING CHAPELLB32857

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
18/07/2018
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56382 66701
Coordinates
256382, 666701

Description

Sir John James Burnet (John Burnet and Son), circa 1913. Single storey with 2-storey S end, 6-bay Scots Renaissance medical building, with prominent crowstepped gables to church Street. Squared snecked rubble, ashlar dressings.

PRINCIPAL (CHURCH STREET) ELEVATION: roughly 6 bays with paired crowstepped gabled bays to far right (S) and recessed crowstepped gable to right (N) with small corner tower to far left (N). Architraved entrance in 1st bay from S with fleur-de-lys decorated panel above and sculpted panel with bracketed cornice and lettering "GLASGOW WESTERN INFIRMARY OUTDOOR DISPENSARY". Segmental arched ground floor windows, those to gabled bays at right (S) tri-partite and with Gibbsian surround. Rectangular windows above with moulded surrounds and raised sculpted panels to gable apexes inscribed 'MEDICINE' and 'SURGERY' . Keystoned oriel window to recessed gable at left (N). Prominent balustrade with rectangular piers and shaped balusters over cornice to single storey bays.

REAR (E) ELEVATION: single storey rear section running E-W, round-headed dormers in N return, balustraded parapet and crow-stepped gable with oculus to E elevation.

Mixture of plate glass and multi-pane in timber windows. Pitched roof with grey slates, some later roof-lights.

INTERIOR: some alteration and later subdivision, but retains many original features and fittings. Large central former dispensing hall with exposed riveted metal roof beams and bracketed supports with timber grotesques. Keystoned arcaded arches with rusticated vousoirs to hall forming central hall and aisles. Full length raised clearstorey.

CHAPEL: rectangular plan chapel to rear with Arts and Crafts interior. Exposed sandstone ashlar walls, some timber paneling and timber doors with glazed panels. Tri-partite pointed arched window to E gable end with stained glass; further stained glass to other pointed arched windows. Sandstone ashlar altar with engaged Doric columns. Herringbone pattern timber block floor. Octagonal timber lectern with relief carving of pointed arch detail, set on sandstone ashlar base. Open timber roof with painted rafters and purlins.

Statement of Special Interest

62 Church Street is an important example of an early 20th century medical building designed by prominent architect Sir John James Burnet and making a significant contribution to the streetscape of Church Street. The building is well detailed in Scots Renaissance style, with a particularly prominent crow-stepped gables and an octagonal corner tower which makes a good contribution to the streetscape. The interior contains some original features including the original dispensary space which is a large hall with prominent riveted metal rafters and roof-lights. The building also contains the hospital chapel which is constructed from sandstone ashlar and contains some good stained glass windows.

62 Church Street was originally designed as the outpatients building and outdoor dispensary for the Western Infirmary. The Western Infirmary was opened in 1874 with 150 beds, which increased to 350 in 1881 and 630 in 1906. The Western Infirmary has a long tradition of pioneering work, particularly in radiology and laboratory space was always a key factor on the site, including in the pathology block (see separate listing). The site was subject to a development plan in 1960, with a two phase redevelopment proposed. The 256 bed Phase I block was completed in 1974, but phase II was indefinitely postponed following the completion of the nearby Gartnavel Hospital in 1973.

The practice of Burnet Son and Campbell were a prominent Scottish architectural practice including Sir John Burnet and Sir John James Burnet. Sir John Burnet retired from the practice in 1889-90, after which John Archibald Campbell rejoining the practice in 1896. The designs for the pathology block in 1894 exhibit a characteristic combination of Scots Renaissance detailing with Neo-Baroque (or Burnet Baroque as it became known) detailing, particularly evident in the detailed window surrounds to the Church Street elevation and the use of advanced and recessed blocks to provide texture to the streetscape. The practice experimented widely with this style, in particular with the Glasgow Athenaeum Theatre of 1891-3 (see separate listing) and Burnet toured Italy in 1895 to further his understanding of the Baroque. The practice worked extensively on the Western Infirmary site and were responsible for a number of buildings including the pathology building, outpatients and dispensary and latterly the Tenant memorial Building (see separate listings) as Burnet Son and Dick with Norman A Dick joining the practice in 1907.

(List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2012.)

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, (1933-34); C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p185; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow (1990) p347.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 62 CHURCH STREET, 10C DUMBARTON ROAD, WESTERN INFIRMARY, OUTPATIENTS AND DISPENSARY, INCLUDING CHAPEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 11:25