Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

201 ST JAMES ROAD, ALLAN GLEN'S SECONDARY SCHOOL ANNEXE, WITH GATEPIERS RAILINGS AND 195 ST JAMES ROAD (JANITOR'S HOUSE)LB32834

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
04/09/1989
Supplementary Information Updated
28/03/2011
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59686 65725
Coordinates
259686, 665725

Description

Burnet, Boston and Carruthers, dated 1906. 4 storeys and basement Classically inspired Board School, with stepped facades and dentilled cornice construction of squared and snecked pink sandstone with ashlar dressings and details, and rock faced base courses.

S ELEVATION: 3 storeys and basement, 13 bays, (centre 7 bays advanced). 'Infants' doorway with carved segmental pediment at terrace level in outer right bay of centre. Jettied plain frieze below top floor. Swagged panel, with crest, flanked by engaged Doric columns at centre of 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: 6 bays (central 4 bays) advanced. Entrance in outer left bay of centrepiece. Arched aperture with fanlight flanked by engaged Ionic columns, inscribed 'Boys' on entablature, forming arcade with 3 arched triforate windows to ground floor. Jettied frieze below 3rd floor, inscribed 'School Board of Glasgow'.

E ELEVATION: 7 irregular bays. Central entrance flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters, with segmental pediment and 'Girls' inscribed in tympanum. Single storey outshot to left of entrance.

W elevation: 7 irregular bays. Entrance to left of centre obscured by brick porch of later date. Blank jettied frieze below 3rd floor, to left.

Timber framed sash and case windows with plate glass (non original). Panelled timber external doors. Grey-green slate roof.

INTERIORS: typical Glasgow School Board school layout, having stairs at E and W converging on galleries around a central light well, lit by skylights on arched timber rafters. Stone stairs with iron balustrades and wooden rails. Stair walls lined with white ceramic tiles. Minor stairs in lower floor have timber balustrades. Several classrooms and halls have glazed timber partitions to corridors. Glazed timber doors. Timber floors.

JANITOR'S HOUSE: 2 storeys, 2 x 3 irregular bay arrangement. Rectangular plan. Hipped roof with exposed rafter ends. Oriel window with slate roof on ground floor E elevation. Cornice above entrance on S. Moulded cills. 3 narrow chimney stacks. Irregular courses of droved sandstone with ashlar dressings, and massive ashlar base courses. Grey-green slate roof. Window and door apertures currently blocked (2010).

GATEPIERS & RAILINGS: 3 pairs of ashlar gatepiers to St James' Rd, some retaining moulded coping. 1 pair gatepiers to S. Simple iron gates and railings mounted on dwarf walls, with saddleback coping, to N and S and around janitor's house. Terrace and retaining wall to S.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as Canning Place Public School, to accommodate 1090 pupils, at a cost of £17,500. The school is of local significance as the sole surviving pre-WWI building in the immediate area. A well detailed example of Scottish school design at the end of the 19th century, and by a respected practice, it retains its Janitor's House (in separate ownership) and parts of its boundary walls.

The practice name, Burnet, Boston & Carruthers, was only used between 1901-08, although Frank Burnet began his practice in 1889. Most of the work of Burnet's office executed before 1901 and after 1908 goes under the name of Burnet & Boston. Frank Burnet (1846-1923) mainly designed tenements before being joined in practice by William James Boston (1861-1937), in 1889, thereafter branching out to do all types of commission. This is their only known school however, and it was executed at the time when most of the design work was undertaken by James Carruthers (1872-1952) and John A Campbell.

The school building has an alternative community use as the Phoenix Centre, for complimentary therapies (2010). Some original features, such as timber partitions and tiled walls are extant in the interior, alongside later work from the 1960s and 1970s when the building served as an annexe for Allan Glen's School. Classroom interiors have been largely stripped of original detail, although an Edwardian fireplace has survived in the headmaster's study. The janitor's house had been sealed by the time of viewing and the only visible window frames were non-original. While the roof structure of the house appeared intact, the stonework showed signs of wear. The school has lost much of its context due to the demolition of the surrounding tenements from which its pupils were drawn, and especially by the loss of the rest of the pre-1950s streetscape, including Canning Place, the cul-de-sac which it originally terminated. Some ancillary buildings, presumably lavatories and shelters, shown on the 1908 OS map have also been lost, together with the playground to the W of the school.

List description revised and change of category from B to C(S), 2011.

References

Bibliography

Ordinance Survey Map Lanarkshire second revision, 1908-11. Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed May 2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 201 ST JAMES ROAD, ALLAN GLEN'S SECONDARY SCHOOL ANNEXE, WITH GATEPIERS RAILINGS AND 195 ST JAMES ROAD (JANITOR'S HOUSE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2022 15:18