A B McDonald, 1903. Irregular plan building with Renaissance details, comprised primarily of offices, court hall, cells, recreation and reception areas, built around a courtyard and designed to conform to an awkward site. 2 and 3-storey bays with attic to corner bays. Red brick with red Dumfriesshire sandstone ashlar dressings. Ashlar base, band, cill and lintel courses, moulded cornice.
E (Turnbull Street) elevation: 2-storey, 8-bay entrance block to left, with outer left bay set at an angle. Pend at centre with round, ashlar voussoired archway with Gibbsian detail; enamel-tiled pend; semi-circular wallhead pediment ornately carved with escutcheon, set above 2 recessed 1st floor windows divided by free standing Ionic ashlar column, with swag and strapwork carving to apron below; raised panels flanking 1st floor windows and breaking eaves as dies, bearing wreaths and pendant carving at apron level. 3 windows to each floor to left and right of centre; additional bay to outer right with door and window above. Taller 2-storey pedimented bay of court hall to right (dentil cornice); 4 windows at ground; Venetian window to court room above, set in recessed panel, with Ionic columns, keystone and "Let Glasgow Flourish" armorial carved in tympanum; classical seated male statues flanking pediment each side. 3 2-storey and attic bays to right, with semi-circular pediments to 1st floor windows and small attic windows under eaves.
Corner block: 3-storey with parapet and attic. E elevation to Turnbull Street with gabled bay to left and blank wall-plane to right; tripartite doorway in gabled bay, segmentally arched, with keystone and further window flanking; tripartite windows to 1st and 2nd floor in ashlar panel with bracketted carved shallow balcony to 1st floor window, pediment to centre light; large semi-circular timber mullioned attic window in gablehead, with keystone, slightly bowed and consoled 2nd floor cornice supporting decorative wrought-iron window guard. Segmentally pedimented apex bearing date, 1904; mannered obelisk to skewputts. Tripartite windows to corner tower, chamfered at ground, rounded at 1st and 2nd floors; corniced and keystoned 1st floor windows with segmental pediment to centre light; octagonal cap to tower with segmentally arched windows and mullion cornice, lead cupola and tapering finial. 4 bays to N (St Andrews Street), regular fenestration, with 2 corniced 1st floor windows at centre, flanked by pedimented windows; dormer window at centre flanked by wallhead stacks, and with segmental pediment and keystone. 2-storey outer bay to right.
Courtyard elevations: severe and functional; red brick and grey ashlar cills and lintels. Small multi-paned windows to cells to W, above open garage bays (formerly serving stable); taller windows to N, some with metal grilles; porch addition at ground.
Interior: not seen (1989); apparently with good panelling to court hall.
Top-hopper windows predominating; small-pane glazing pattern to attic windows. Grey slates. Skylights.