Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

34-58 (EVEN NOS) BUCHANAN STREET WITH 7-17 (ODD NOS) SPRINGFIELD COURT, FORMERLY PRINCE OF WALES BUILDINGS NOW KNOWN AS PRINCES SQUARELB32634

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58996 65182
Coordinates
258996, 665182

Description

John Baird, 1854, courtyard, covered over and with

interior alterations, 1987. Main elevation to Buchanan

Street, returning to E into Springfield Court. 3-storey

and attic (full attic to E courtyard block, and 2-storey

and attic to wing). Originally a hotel, converted to

business chambers and commercial use.

BUCHANAN STREET ELEVATION: irregular astylar 3-5-5-4-2

bay, centre (5) and ends (3 x 2) advanced; modern shop

fronts at ground with 3 pends into square. All windows

in architraves, corniced at 1st floor, consoled pediments

to centre; continuous cill band to 1st and 2nd floors,

entablature with die parapet.

S SIDE ELEVATION: 4 advanced bays to left, with angled

bay before 18 to main elevation continuous cill band to

2nd floor windows; doorways to each of 18 bays at

ground, some blocked as windows; some blinded upper

windows.

E END ELEVATION: 18-bay with rounded corners and 1

consoled, pedimented doorway.

N SIDE ELEVATION TO SPRINGFIELD COURT: 16-bay to left and

centre, with recess to right before advanced gable end

of Buchanan Street block; alterations at ground.

12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.

Leaded parapet to side and rear elevations, with slated

mansard roofs; slated gabled roof to main W block.

INTERIOR: elevations of former courtyard radically altered

in interior conversion (1987). Additions in Art Nouveau

style, and glazed, pitched roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Baird's work of 1854 incorporated an earlier square of

1840, and was designed as a hotel premises.

References

Bibliography

APSD. Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.114n.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 34-58 (EVEN NOS) BUCHANAN STREET WITH 7-17 (ODD NOS) SPRINGFIELD COURT, FORMERLY PRINCE OF WALES BUILDINGS NOW KNOWN AS PRINCES SQUARE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 10:26