18th century tenement, Argyle Street elevation,
remodelled by David Barclay, 1898-99. Currently offices
and shops. 4-storey and attic, 10-bay, asymmetrical.
Harled. Round arched pend off-centre to right; modern
shop fronts flanking. Windows with jamb stops above
cills and below lintels of upper windows; 8th bay from
left blind; smaller windows at 1st floor. Curvilinear
gablehead above 3 penultimate bays to left, with corbelled
timber oriel and decorative cusped barge boarding;
shaped gablehead above 3 bays off-centre to right, with
fleur-de-lys embossed and gablehead stacks. Piended
dormers above outer bays, and 2 decoratively gabled
dormers between gableheads. Louvred tower above
centre, with swept, overhanging eaves and leaded finial
to pyramidal roof.
REAR ELEVATION (TO MORRISON COURT): original 18th century
with some alterations; stair turret to left, with 2 square
windows to court; curvaceous 1898 doorpiece with
intertwined Cs (Cranston); dentil cornice to conical roof
with lead small-pane casement windows. Slate roof.
Statement of Special Interest
Barclay was commissioned by Miss Cranston in 1897 to
redesign the tenement, with luncheon, tea and games rooms
and a central store for her other properties. The interior
decoration was by George Walton, with details by Mackintosh
1904, mostly destroyed now.