Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

5 VICTORIA CIRCUS, (ELSTOW)LB32590

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/07/1987
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56191 67453
Coordinates
256191, 667453

Description

Mid 19th century villa remodelled and extended in the baronial

style with A N Paterson, architect; 1899. Asymmetrical main

3-storey elevation to W; boldly projecting canted bay and

tall bowed bay additional 2-storey entrance porch to left.

Coursed stugged ashlar with polished dressings and margins;

all stonecleaned. All ground and 1st floor windows transomed,

bay windows mullioned; sash windows, lower sash plate glass,

upper sash 4-pane glazing.

Main elevation to left; gabled bay with canted 2-storey

window with embattled parapet; 3-light window in gable head.

Original narrow entrance bay converted 1899 to bipartite

architraved consoled corniced window, now re-converted to

doorway with fanlight. At left, 3-storey bow window with 3

windows to ground and 1st 5 at 2nd. Latter with roll-moulded

architraves and hemi-domical roof; crow-stepped gable above.

2-storey bay to left with steps to lugged roll-moulded

depressed arch doorpiece with bold keystone, flanked by

Tuscan columns supporting pediment. Single-light window

above, flanked by strip of polished ashlar. Cornice with

pierced parapet. Further 2-storey wing to left, part of

original villa.

Rear elevation irregular with elongated 5-light bow window to

left and 3-storey turret with conical roof to right.

Otherwise windows mainly tripartite, treated as main facade.

Single storey and attic servants wing to NE.

References

Bibliography

Original villa shown on 1858 OS map. Plans of 1899

alterations in SR Archives; D of G 1/6194.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 5 VICTORIA CIRCUS, (ELSTOW)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 11:09