James Thomson, architect, 1877-8. Truncated astylar terrace
of 5-bay houses with pavilion to S. 2 storeys, attics and
basement, polished ashlar, channelled at ground. Shallow
advanced and taller pavilion (Nos 1 and 2) with rusticated
quoins at 1st floor.
Steps oversailing basement to tripartite doorpieces with
glazed sidelights, roll-moulded reveals with rounded angles
to doorpieces; glazed sidelights, double-leaf panelled storm
doors; vestibule door with glazed fanlight. All windows
single light, architraved at 1st with recessed apron panel,
plate glass sashes. Nos 3-7 with band course over ground,
moulded eaves strings, eaves cornice and blocking course.
Slate roof, corniced axial stacks.
At pavilion (Nos 1 and 2) consoled cornices to windows of
outer bays; inner 3 bays with carved decorative friezes,
consoled segmental pediments and solid ashlar balcony
supported on stone brackets. Continuous cornice over ground,
moulded cill band to 1st floor, string course at eaves;
modillion cornice with disc frieze. Dormers with broken
pediment linked by die balustrade (partly missing).
Flank to No 1; 3-bay, detailed as main terrace, 1st floor
windows architraved and corniced. Solid parapet over eaves.
Rear elevation droved ashlar, mainly single light windows
with plate glass sashes. Hipped dormers; tall corniced axial
stacks, octagonal cans.
Droved ashlar walls or cast-iron railings divide rear
gardens. Good cast-iron railings to front steps. Pair of
corniced ashlar gatepiers to carriageway supporting cast-iron
lamp brackets to E.