Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

22-38 (EVEN NOS) KINGSBOROUGH GARDENSLB32544

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/07/1987
Supplementary Information Updated
04/06/2019
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 55965 67541
Coordinates
255965, 667541

Description

A terrace of nine two-bay houses built between 1878 and 1882. All are three-storey with attic and basement, built in polished ashlar. Charles Rennie Mackintosh designed the interiors for 14 (now no.34) Kingsborough Gardens for the owner, Robert Rowat, in 1901.

Nos. 22-36 with stops oversailing basement to a stilted arch keystoned doorway with hoodmoulds ending in square stops, a glazed fanlight and a panelled outer door. To the left, a canted window rises from basement to 1st floor. Remaining windows single or bipartite, in margins at 2nd floor. Plate glass sash windows. Individual cast iron balconies to 1st floor window over entrance door. Band course over ground and 1st floors. Moulded string course at eaves, modillion cornice. Slate roofs with corniced axial stacks and octagonal cans.

No.38 is three-bays with shallow advanced steps to the doorway as above with a two-storey canted window to the right with four single-light 2nd floor windows. At the south angle there is a corbelled tourelle to the 2nd floor with a conical roof. All windows have multi-pane glazing. No.38 has a droved ashlar flank with polished band courses and a two-storey projecting bay window with a conservatory to 1st floor.

Cast iron railings to steps and a basement level throughout the terrace.

Statement of Special Interest

Charles Rennie Mackintosh designed white-painted interior fittings and free-standing furniture, and a grey, pink and green stencilled wall decoration for the drawing room at no.34 Kingsborough Gardens (formerly 14 Kingsborough Gardens) (illustrations and plans in Billcliffe, pp.114-118). He also designed a dark-stained settle for the entrance hall, and a stencilled wall decoration for a child's bedroom on the second-floor. The furniture included a remodelled fireplace with carved mantelpiece and square purple glass inlays, fitted corner seating upholstered in grey linen with green and white stencilled decoration, two upholstered armchairs, and an oval table and two free-standing cabinets (Mackintosh Architecture).

In January 1988 the hall settle and fittings remained within no.34, but light fittings were noted as missing (confirmed missing by City of Glasgow District Council). It is not known if the hall settle and fittings remain in the building (2019).

Mackintosh's interiors were likely a private commission as no related entries appear in John Honeyman and Keppie's job or cash books. The commission may have been agreed before Mackintosh was taken into partnership with the practice, toward the end of 1901, when restrictions on private work were introduced (Mackintosh Architecture). Drawings of the work by Mackintosh himself survive and photographs of it were published under his name in Dekorative Kunst in 1902 and in Hermann Muthesius's publication, Das englische Haus (Mackintosh Architecture).

Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.

Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907.

Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts'. This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.

Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.

Listed building record revised in 2019.

References

Bibliography

References:

Printed Sources

Billcliffe, R. (1979) Charles Rennie Mackintosh: The Complete Furniture, Furniture Drawings and Interior Designs. London: Lutterworth Press, pp.114-118.

Brown, A (2018) Charles Rennie Mackintosh Making the Glasgow Style. Glasgow: Glasgow Museums.

Cooper, J. (editor) (1984) Mackintosh architecture: the complete buildings and selected projects. London: Academy.

Crawford, A (1995) Charles Rennie Mackintosh. London: Thomas and Hudson.

Howarth, T. (1977) Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd.

Neat, T. & McDermott, G. (2002) Closing The Circle Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. Aberdour: Inyx publishing.

Robertson, P. (editor) (1990) Mackintosh: The Architectural Papers. Wendlebury: White Cockade Publishing.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200362 [accessed 30/05/2019].

Mackintosh Architecture, MX.06 Interiors for 14 Kingsborough Gardens at https://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla.ac.uk/catalogue/freetext/display/?rs=3&q=KINGSBOROUGH%20GARDENS [accessed 06/02/2019].

Other

Additional information courtesy of staff member, City of Glasgow District Council (14 January 1988).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 22-38 (EVEN NOS) KINGSBOROUGH GARDENS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 11:05