James Thomson, architect; circa 1873. Astylar symmetrical
terrace of 4 bay houses. 36 bays arranged 12-12-12, 2
storeys, attics and basement with 3-storey central pavilion.
Polished ashlar, mostly stonecleaned.
Steps oversailing basement to tripartite architraved doorway
flanked by panelled pilasters supporting cornice and parapet.
To left, canted bay window rises from basement through
2-storeys, with decorative pilaster capitals at 1st floor.
To right, 2 architraved single-light windows. At 1st floor,
windows architraved and with consoled cornice. 3-storey
pavilion as above with 2nd floor windows tripartite over bay,
otherwise single-light; lugged and architraved. Sash windows,
plate glass glazing. Continuous band course over ground and
at 1st floor cills; mutule main cornice. To pavilion, strings
at 2nd floor cills and consoled main cornice. Deep plain
parapet to whole terrace linking pilastered aedicular dormers
with ball finials. Over each bay window, tripartite dormers
with round-headed centre sash flanked by narrow lights;
otherwise dormers with triangular pediments. Slate roofs,
axial stacks, mostly octagonal flues. Cast-iron railings to
steps and basement.
Flank to Sydenham Lane: 5-bay, polished ashlar similarly
detailed; tall corniced wallhead stacks.
Rear elevation stugged ashlar, gardens enclosed with low
ashlar wall supporting spearhead railings.