James Thomson, architect; circa 1870. Long symmetrical
astylar terrace of houses set back from Crown Road North. 35
bays arranged 4-27-4. 3 bays per house with 4-bay shallow
advanced terminal pavilions. 3 storeys, attics and basement.
Polished ashlar, channelled at ground; droved at basement;
Each house: to left flight of steps oversailing basement to
tripartite doorpiece with glazed side-lights; doubleleaf
doors. 1st floor architraved corniced windows flank centrally
placed canted oriel linked by consoled balcony with low
cast-iron balustrade (missing at No 3). 2nd floor windows
architraved with cill band. Sash windows, plate glass
glazing. 4-bay pavilions similarly detailed with individual
flights of steps to paired centrally placed doorpieces
flanked by 2-storey canted windows. Modillion cornice.
Parapet with cast-iron balustrade and die pedestals (absent
at Nos 3, 5, 9, 10 and 11), ashlar balustrade at pavilions,
die pedestals supporting urns. Axial stacks, slate roofs.
Cast-iron railings to steps and basement.
Interiors: generally good plasterwork to cornice and ceiling
roses; Corinthian column screen to hall. Good cast-iron
balusters to stairs with carved wood newel post. 3-bay flank
to N; polished ashlar; windows detailed as main terrace.
Corniced wall-head stacks flank architraved round-headed
dormer. Flank to S; stugged ashlar; irregular fenestration.
Rear elevation stugged ashlar. Nos 9 and 10 with tall
round-headed dormers. Tall axial stacks.
Lane to rear entered through arched gateway at S linking
Crown Circus and Crown Gardens. Piers support moulded
depressed arch with central console/keystone supporting
ashlar balustraded parapet; spurstones. Lane separated from
rear gardens by low ashlar wall with cast-iron spearhead
Pairs of ashlar gatepiers to left of No 1 and to Lane
entrance; tall, square and corniced. Low ashlar wall
separates carriageway from main road.