Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

24 QUEEN'S DRIVE THE KNOWE INCLUDING GATEPIERSLB32446

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
05/12/1989
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58574 62111
Coordinates
258574, 662111

Description

Circa 1879; extended by Henry Edward Clifford, 1892; subdivided into lower and upper dwellings by Gardner and Thomson, 1939. 2-storey, 4-bay classical villa; off-centre advanced gable with 3-light mullioned and canted window; set on ground rising to NE, garden fronting street. Coursed sandstone ashlar, squared, snecked and tooled sandstone with ashlar margins to rear and side elevations; base course; ashlar margins. Flat arched openings; stone mullioned bipartite and triparitite windows; some projecting cills; bracketted cornice to advanced windows. SW (principal) elevation with moulded and lugged architraves to 1st floor windows; timber brackets to eaves.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-light canted bay window to gable, tripartite window above. 3-light canted bay window to right extending to form open porch supported on single column with decorative foliage capital and carved corbels; 2-leaf panelled timber entrance door to small vestibule, later glazed entrance door with rectangular fanlight; tripartite window at 1st floor to right with single light window to left. Bay to left added 1892; slightly advanced tripartite at ground with bipartite window above.

NW ELEVATION: gable to right, timber-framing on moulded brackets to apex. Entrance to centre and left; irregular fenestration; droved ashlar margins.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-light canted bay to left; entrance door and small window opening to right of canted bay. Advanced gable to right with full-height canted bay; bipartite window at ground floor; 4-light window at 1st floor; later harling to apex; return of gable with entrance and coal hatch to right added 1939; tripartite window at 1st floor to left. Later tripartite rectangular dormers.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows with horns. Pitched slate roof. Wide corniced ashlar end stacks with decorative octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR (seen 2011): characterised by plaster ceilings including decorative cornicing to principal rooms and later timber detailing. geometric glazed tiled floor to entrance vestibule and hall. Ground floor lounge with extensive oak mantlepiece to E wall with carved overmantel, enclosing carved side panels with bird detail to base and overhanging bracketted and moulded cornice; corniced oak panelling walls with corniced basket-arched detail to N wall; boarded timber ceiling supported on corbelled timber beams. Timber dog-leg stair to E of plan with turned balusters and carved newels. Former billiard room (now kitchen) with arched braced oak roof and carved arched purlins, segmental arch to bay window recess. Open well timber staircase to attic floor at centre of plan, with canted, columned and corniced timber screen. Panelled timber doors in moulded timber architraves. Later ceiling roses.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: squared and snecked low boundary walls with chamfered ashlar cope. Pair of square-plan gatepiers with dentilled pyramidal caps Boundary wall to street, gatepiers with dentilled caps.

Statement of Special Interest

The Knowe is a good example of a classical villa, which has been extended and subdivided, from the late 19th century in Glasgow. The building exhibits good stonework detailing, including canted bays, moulded architraved windows, and a distinctive open porch linking the canted bay to the gable. The building is a characteristic example of the dwellings overlooking Queen's Park.

Queen's Drive bounds the north side of Queen's Park. The park was formerly opened 11 September 1862 to provide open recreation space for the increasing population housed on the south side of Glasgow. The area to the north of the park was developed after the establishment of the park and Queens Drive is first recorded in the 1879-80 Post Office Directory. It is characterised by sandstone tenements to the W and villas to the E. The Knowe was built for Thomas Binnie, a successful property valuator in Glasgow who also advised in the development of the railway systems in and around Glasgow and the extension of the quays and docks on the Clyde.

Circa 1886 the house was sold to James Simpson, Cabinet maker and Upholster. In 1892 the Glasgow based architect HE Clifford prepared drawings for the extension of the house by one bay to the W, and included a parlour, laundry rooms, 2 bedrooms and a billard room at first floor. Henry Edward Clifford was arcticled to the renowned architect John Burnet Senior, before leaving to establish his own practice in 1878. His early work principally consisted of tenements in Glasgow but he also secured some public and commercial commissions including Hyndland Primary School (1885) Pollokshields Burgh Hall (1888) (see separate listings). He achieved national fame in 1901 by winning the Glasgow Royal Infirmary competition but following a difference of opinion between the directors and their assessor Rowand Anderson, the commission was given to James Miller, Clifford securing appointment to the Royal Victoria Infirmary as consolation prize in 1902. His domestic work achieved European recognition with the publication of Stoneleigh, Kelvinside (see separate listing) in Das Englische Haus in 1904-5

In 1936 Albert Victor Gardner and Gavin Thomson prepared plans for the subdivision of the house into 2 dwellings. This included the removal of the central staircase, replaced by cloakroom and the conversion of the first floor billiard room to a kitchen. A new dog leg stair to the W of the plan was also added to provide access to the upper dwelling from the an existing entrance. Their drawings indicate an existing attic floor accessed by an open-well stair with winders. This stair is not indicated on Clifford's drawing although two dormers to the rear are depicted on the elevation drawing, therefore it is unclear when this attic floor was added. The central dormer was added in the late 20th/early 21st century.

(List description updated 2011).

References

Bibliography

Post Office Glasgow Directory (1879-80) p106 and 669. Post Office Glasgow Directory (1886-87), p816. Dean of Guild Drawings (1892) Glasgow City Archives 1/1694. Evident on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1892-4). Dean of Guild Drawings (1939) Glasgow City Archives 1939/57. 'Who's Who in Glasgow in 1909: Thomas Binnie' at http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/eyrwho/eyrwho0320.htm (accessed 22 March 2011). www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 22 March 2011). Information courtesy of owner (2011).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 24 QUEEN'S DRIVE THE KNOWE INCLUDING GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 07:53