Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

58 CLEVEDEN DRIVE, "AMALFI HOUSE", BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB32311

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
25/11/1982
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 55832 68117
Coordinates
255832, 668117

Description

Circa 1880 villa with classical details; additional rear wing

1898 by J L Cowan. Polished ashlar with rusticated quoins.

2 storeys 3 irregular bays. Canted window in left bay,

5-light semi-circular window in right, both to ground and

1st floors, door between with paired Corinthian columned,

balustraded porch. Full-height semi-circular bay with 5-light

windows in each storey on W elevation, 2-storey canted bay

to rear, plate glass sash and case windows; deeply bracketted

eaves. Original single storey rear wing now raised by 2

additional storeys and forms link to 3-storey rear block. Rear

block stugged ashlar; projecting and part corbelled stack

rising through apex of 2-bay gabled section of S elevation,

corniced stacks.

Low coped ashlar wall with pair of tall square ashlar gatepiers. INTERIOR: richly fitted interior in Renaissance manner. Hall

with Corinthian columned screen, ribbed plaster ceiling,

architraved doorpieces with mannered pediments; stair rising

from centre of hall landing and dog leg up right wall. Principal

rooms with plaster cornices and geometric ceiling designs,

the drawing room with bold serpentine design taking in 2

semi-circular bays. On 1st floor original library fittings

survive in front NW room, rear SW room with coved ribbed

ceiling supported by Corinthian pilasters and deep moulded

frieze was probably the billiard room.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of Cleveden Crescent B group. Interior work of very high

quality.

References

Bibliography

Plans of 1898 additions in S R Archives, D of G 1/6787.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 58 CLEVEDEN DRIVE, "AMALFI HOUSE", BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 15:27