Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

28 ,30A, 30B, 30C, 32, 32A AND 32B VICTORIA PARK GARDENS SOUTH, BROOMHILL TRINITY CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND HALLSLB32298

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 54609 67351
Coordinates
254609, 667351

Description

Sir J J Burnet, dated 1907, halls circa 1903. Gothic. Red snecked rubble. Nave, chancel, single gabled N aisle, arcade, SW tower and halls in courtyard plan.

Former Church: Main entrance to E at base of tower, large projecting porch with timbered gable. Double-leaf doors. Projecting vestibule at SW, tripartite canted window with colonette mullions. Simple lancet windows to church.

Tower: squat, 3 stages. Cusped 2-light window at ground floor to S, relief dedication panel above with date, flanking sculpted busts and arched window with nook shafts at 1st floor. Giant bellcote openings round-arched with roll moulded margins. Bracketted parapet, corner turrets. Pyramid roof with diminutive lucarnes, cock weathervane.

Halls: single storey L-plan. Timbered gable to E outer entrance bays, linking continuous glazing with leaded lights. Gable with lancet windows over W entrance. Plain windows to rear. Slate roofs.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use. Converted to residential accommodation 2006/7.

Previous list description describes interior as: single N arcade. Rear gallery. Figurative carved timber choir stalls, communion table, chair, and pulpit. Sculpted frieze in chancel with animals and lettering. Trussed timber roof with pendants on sculpted corbels. Stained glass in liturgical E (N) wall and liturgical S (W) chancel wall.

List description updated 2009.

References

Bibliography

Doak (ed) 1977 No. 135, Glasgow City Archives, D of G H-PAR/39/1903/64, Frank Worsdall Collection TD1309/A/512 (1900) and TD1309/A/513 (1906).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 28 ,30A, 30B, 30C, 32, 32A AND 32B VICTORIA PARK GARDENS SOUTH, BROOMHILL TRINITY CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND HALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 22:35