Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-17 (INCLUSIVE NOS) WOODLANDS TERRACELB32266

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57611 66240
Coordinates
257611, 666240

Description

John Baird I, architect; 1849-51. Classical symmetrical terrace of 3-bay houses; 3-storey with attics and basement. Ashlar, mostly painted or stonecleaned, channelled at ground, stugged at basement. Channelled flat voussoirs over all ground floor openings. Paired flights of steps oversailing basement to tall depressed arch doorpieces with deeply recessed doors. Full-height canted bay-windows, intermittently with pilastered mullions. Ground floor windows mostly

tripartite; 1st floor windows with ramped and lugged architraves; 2nd floor windows with recessed margins.

Sash windows, mostly plate-glass glazing. Continuous band courses between floors at cill level on 1st floor. Main cornice, blocking course. Axial stacks, slate roofs. Good cast-iron railings with winged figures to basement area and steps. Decorative cast-iron balconies to 1st floor supported on stone consoles and cast-iron brackets, mostly now removed. Flank to Lynedoch Place; 3-bay elevation; recessed inner bay, canted full-height window with heavy mutule cornice and plain parapet.

Flank to Park Street South: advanced 3-bay central block; 1st floor windows consoled; ground floor canted bay windows. No 1 broadly similar to main terrace, but with corniced shallow doorpiece and single ground floor windows. No 3 doorpiece with engaged column reveals. Nos 13 and 14 altered and extended by James Salmon Jnr c. 1900; No 14 with 1st floor painted tile fireplace with marble surround and much Salmon woodwork.

Billiard room to rear and basement library (now restaurant) with Salmon interior and coloured leaded glass. Otherwise, interiors with good ceiling and cornice plasterwork, good cast-iron stair balusters.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker 1968 p.249, 298. Academy Architecture 1904.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-17 (INCLUSIVE NOS) WOODLANDS TERRACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 21:15