Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

311 WOODLANDS ROAD, WOODSIDE PUBLIC SCHOOLLB32263

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/05/1986
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57516 66688
Coordinates
257516, 666688

Description

Robert Dalglish, architect; 1882. Jacobean style T-plan school built on sloping site. 2-storey symmetrical elevation to Woodlands road, raised on podium. 10 bays with terminal pavilions arranged 3-4-3. Stugged ashlar with polished margins and quoins. All windows with roll-moulded architraves and aproned; all transomed, some mullioned; plate glass or multi-pane glazing. Shallow advanced terminal pavilions in the form of tower features: banded pilasters flanking single-light windows rise to mock square turrets above eaves. Twin-arch blind arcade with heavy cornice and strapwork pediment flanked by finials. Strings at cills and lintels; heavy string course over ground. Eaves cornice; deep parapet inscribed 'School Board of Glasgow'; panels of pierced balustrading at pavilions. Axial stacks; slate roofs. 4-bay flanks similarly detailed but with corniced windows at ground and pierced parapet at S flank. Rear elevation with corniced and pilastered doorpieces near re-entrant angle. Central projecting bay with square turret/campanile feature at eaves; similarly detailed to those already described, with strapwork pediments and finials.

GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: square-section ashlar piers with panelled neck and cornice tapering for ball finial. Decoratibe, heavy cast-iron railings on ashlar dwarf wall to Eldon Street, Woodlands Road and Park Road.

Statement of Special Interest

Plainer block to north west also by Dalglish, 1894. D of G Ref. 1/3190. The former Janitor's House is listed separately, as 30 Eldon Street.

References

Bibliography

Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Elevational drawings, dated July 1879, in Glasgow City Archives, Ref. GDC 4/2/5.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 311 WOODLANDS ROAD, WOODSIDE PUBLIC SCHOOL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 22:39