John Burnet Snr architect, 1874-5. French Gothic church
and halls; church with 4-bay aisles, nave and tower in
N W angle. Stugged coursed ashlar, stonecleaned; plate
tracery windows: many ornate features: gargoyle
spouts, grotesque corbels supporting pinnacles etc.
Clerestory windows set in gables at right angles to main
roof, above paired cusped lancets. West front:
pointed-arch entrance under gable with finial, flanked
by stepped buttresses; nook shafts and moulded reveals.
Paired doors with roll-moulded heads and dividing
trumeau. Above, paired pointed-arch 2-light windows
with simple geometric tracery; single round window in
gable. Tower in 3-stages with engaged stair turret to W.
Door in N side under pointed arch with moulded reveals.
Upper stage with paired lancet openings. Facetted spire
rises from tower; at base columned pinnacle-niches with
figures of saints at angles; lucarnes between.
Galleried interior: slender cast-iron columns with
decorative capitals support pointed arch arcade
separating 4-bay aisles from wide nave. Gallery to 3
sides with cusped panel front. Supported to W by
wooden corbels and to N and S by aisle arcades. Carved
oak reredos with organ and pulpit incorporated. Tie beam
roof with flat decorative timber ceiling supported on
wooden corbels; vaulting over side galleries. Vestry and
hall to East.