Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING E8, 32 UNIVERSITY AVENUE, GLASGOW UNIVERSITY UNION INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, ENTRANCE PIERS, LAMP STANDARDS AND STEPSLB32252

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/05/1986
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57128 66728
Coordinates
257128, 666728

Description

Alan McNaughton of Arthur & McNaughton, 1929-31. 3-storey over basement, 13-bay Free Baronial students' union building, symmetrically arranged with drum towers flanking entrance bay and corbelled balcony at 2nd floor. Ashlar, bull-faced at basement, stugged walling with polished ashlar margins and quoins.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 2-storey drum towers flank advanced centre bay with crowstep gable and recessed tall arched mullioned and transomed window (some stained glass) rising through 1st and 2nd floors. Polished ashlar balcony (now stonecleaned) links towers over ground floor. Below, wide flight of steps to recessed doorpiece with slit windows and roll-moulded architrave. Windows transomed and/or mullioned, with strapwork pediments at towers. Small angle turrets corbelled out at 1st floor level. String-course over basement. Corbelled stone balcony at 2nd floor, with solid parapet, runs from drum towers to angle turrets. 2-bay elevation to West with canted projecting bays corbelled over ground floor, with small rectangular windows.

Small-pane leaded lights to metal pivot (vertical and horizontal) windows. M-shaped slate roofs, crowstep gables with scroll skewstone; tall axial stacks.

INTERIOR (seen 2010): numerous original details including: decorative timber fireplaces; panelled walls; parquet flooring; decorative plaster cornices; wrought-iron balusters. Imperial staircase; pilastered 1st floor stairhall; columned dining room; shallow vaulted roofs to Billiard Hall and galleried Debating Chamber.

BOUNDARY WALLS, ENTRANCE PIERS, LAMP STANDARDS AND STEPS: Low stugged ashlar wall (stepped down slope) to basement; entrance steps with parapet and piers supporting pair of decorative wrought-iron lamp standards.

Statement of Special Interest

The University Union is a rare example of a little-altered Inter-War higher educational building. the design is characteristic of the development of tertiary education buildings from this period and retains a number of original features. The use of the Free Baronial style is well detailed, with a particularly prominent entrance flanked by tow large round turrets. The building is prominently set within the university campus and makes a good contribution to the streetscape.

The building was designed to replace the John McIntyre Building (see separate listing) as the Mens' Union. Stylistically, it looked back to the pre-War period, with details reminiscent of J J Burnet, C R Mackintosh and Robert Lorimer. Alan McNaughtan (1878-1952) had been an assistant to J J Burnet from 1895-1901. Funds for the new building were raised by donations to the Student Welfare Scheme, started in 1921 to reinvigorate student life. Membership of Glasgow University Union was restricted to male students until 1980. The Queen Margaret Union for female students occupied the John McIntyre Building from 1932 until a purpose-built complex in University Gardens was constructed in 1969.

A row of shops dating from the 1870s was demolished to make way for the new building.

The extension at the north end, 'The Hive', was designed by Keppie, Henderson & Partners in 1965.

The mural 'West End Perk' by Fyffe Christie (1918-79), originally sited near the entrance to the Citizen's Theatre, was bought by the James Bridie Trust for the James Bridie Memorial Room.

Formerly listed as '14-42 (Even Nos) University Avenue, Students Union'.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Sacle Town Plan 3rd Edition, 1933-34; Glasgow University Archives, Drawings Collection, competition drawings of 1929, Ref. GB 0248 GUA BUL/6/18/1-26; Builder Vol. CXLVIII, (1935) p. 1110; RIBA Journal Vol. 45, (November 1937) p. 48 (obituary of John Arthur); RIAS Quarterly (November 1950), obituary of Alan G McNaughtan; C McKean, The Scottish Thirties, (1987) pp. 125-6; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 188; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 345; R M Bailey, Scottish Architects' Papers - A Source Book, (1996), pp. 143-44; Gordon R Urquhart, Friends of Glasgow West ' Hillhead Heritage Trail, (2008) Building No. 20; M Hansell, H Harris, M Reilly & G D Ruxton, Architectural Treasures of the University of Glasgow, (2009) pp. 9-10; 'Glasgow Students' Union' building search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 03-03-2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING E8, 32 UNIVERSITY AVENUE, GLASGOW UNIVERSITY UNION INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, ENTRANCE PIERS, LAMP STANDARDS AND STEPS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 11:01