Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 57811 66283
257811, 666283


George Smith, architect; 1845-48. Classical crescent

arranged round D-shaped garden, and continuing into

Lynedoch Street. 2 storeys and attics over basement

with 3-storey inner and terminal pavilions. 6, 18, 22

and 24 Lynedoch Street detailed as terminal pavilions.

3-bay elevation per house. Polished ashlar, painted or

stonecleaned; channelled at ground at terminal

pavilions. Steps oversailing basement to architraved

doorpieces with consoled cornice, fanlights and

pilastered reveals. Inner pavilions with paired Greek

Doric porches. Outer pavilions, door with pilastered

reveals and fanlights. Ground floor windows of crescent

architraved and aproned with consoled cornices. All

upper windows architraved, corniced at 1st floor. Sash

windows; mostly 4-pane or plate-glass glazing. Continuous

string course over ground and at 1st floor cills (except

at inner pavilions). Cill bands at 2nd floor of

pavilions; eaves cornice; blocking course. Roof

balustrade at Nos 10 and 11. Axial stacks, slate roofs.

Cast-iron railings to basement and steps. Blocked door

between Nos 16 and 17; basement steps removed; possibly

late 19th century alteration. Good interior plasterwork

for example at No 7; Corinthian pilasters and column

screen; elaborate cast iron balusters to staircase. An

attic floor was added to No 9 by John A Campbell, 1902.

Gardens to crescent enclosed by low ashlar wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of A group with Woodlands Hill.

No 9 was the home of a number of Glasgow merchants

including Peter Clouston 1848-61, John Jarvie 1866-83

Matthew Pearce Campbell 1883-1925 (cousin of Henry

Campbell Bannerman). Restored 1987-88 by Gordon Murray

of Cunningham Glass.

Category change A to B 20.5.86.



Gomme and Walker 1968; pp.92, 245.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 4-19 (INCLUSIVE) LYNEDOCH CRESCENT AND 6, 18, 20, 22, LYNEDOCH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/09/2023 08:29