Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

416 AND 420 GREAT WESTERN ROAD/433 NORTH WOODSIDE ROAD LANSDOWNE PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)LB32205

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57564 66942
Coordinates
257564, 666942

Description

John Honeyman, architect, 1863. Sculptor; John Mossman. T-plan early English apsidal church with tower and spire at SE. Coursed rubble with polished ashlar margins; slate roofs. West front: angle buttresses rising to columned pinnacles. Elaborate pointed arch porch with dog-tooth moulding: deeply recessed paired doors under moulded pointed arch supported on nook shafts of polished granite, with stiff leaf ashlar capitals. Porch flanked by deep buttresses with blind arcading continuing across to gabletted angle buttresses, gablet with roundel above arcading between buttresses. Stepped triple lancet above. Low pseudo-aisles, also butressed and with columned pinnacles. Transepts with 3 lancet windows over blind arcade. Tower in 3 stages: 1st stage buttressed with tripartite window over door; 2nd with 2-light louvered openings. 3rd stage more elaborate: plate tracery windows with gables, rising into spire; octagonal piers rise to pinnacles at angles. Tall very slender spire with niches and band of diaper work midway. Church surrounded by low ashlar wall with decorative cast-iron railings; intermediate gabled ashlar piers and gatepiers. Interior: aisled corridors open through doors into the main body of the church. Gallery on 3 sides with panelled front supported on wooden brackets, and at transepts on cast-iron clustered columns. Ribbed tunnel-vaulted ceiling supported on stone corbels. Clustered shafts of red marble with carved capitals and corbels support ribs of vaulted apse ceiling. Altar: marble, coloured marble inlay and colonnette shafts. Oak panelled apse with War Memorial triptych by Evelyn Beale 1923; 3 apse windows by Ward and Hughes of London 1865. Transept windows by Alfred Webster 1913 and Gordon Webster 1950-60. Memorial brass plaque to Alfred Webster in S transept. Medallion portrait to Rev John Eadie by Mossman 1879, in vestibule. Hanging brass lamps circa 1920.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally UP Church.

Upgraded B to A 20.5.86

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Gomme and Walker 1968; pp155; 172-3 A M

Doak (ed) 1977. P85.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 416 AND 420 GREAT WESTERN ROAD/433 NORTH WOODSIDE ROAD LANSDOWNE PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/05/2022 05:21