Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

380 BEARSDEN ROAD, CANAL RESTAURANT (FORMER ROBINSON DUNN OFFICES)LB32170

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/11/1992
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 54907 69323
Coordinates
254907, 669323

Description

Probably George Laird of John Laird and Son, circa 1938. 2- and 3-storey (part as basement to road) Modern Movement office block with principal entrance on higher level to road. Red brick with concrete lintel bands.

NW ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay entrance block to road with storey below. Brick porch in taller bay to centre with brick reeding to chamfered surround and with recessed door approached by steps, flat concrete canopy above supporting engaged circular tower with tall window , concrete coping ring above window and parapet. Regular windows flanking

SW AND NE ELEVATIONS: return of taller entrance block towards front with oculus to upper floor to SW and narrow window to NE. 4 lower, 3-storey bays to centre with paired windows to rear, windows to front and narrower windows to penultimate bays. 2-storey rear block with 4 windows (spaced 1-3) to each floor SW and 3 to NE.

SE ELEVATION: sliding machinery door at ground centre with row of 4 narrow windows to floor above, grouped to left.

Horizontal-pane, metal glazing, 3-pane uppers with pivoting pane at centre. Boarded timber, 2-leaf doors.

INTERIOR: not seen 1996.

Statement of Special Interest

Survives from former Robinson Dunn mill, the Temple Saw Mills, founded in 1874 by Robinson Dunn. The offices feature up-to-date motifs for the period. The timber sheds and offices in the adjoining sawmill yards remain in situ (1995). Sympathetic 1 and 2 storey extension to the north added by Nicoll Russell of Dundee (1998) as part of conversion to Canal restaurant and microbrewery.

References

Bibliography

Williamson, Riches and Higgs GLASGOW (1990), p395. Charles McKean SCOTTISH THIRTIES (1987), p113.

Dean of Guild Drawings missing but architects identified as John Laird & Son. Information courtesy of Glasgow City Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 380 BEARSDEN ROAD, CANAL RESTAURANT (FORMER ROBINSON DUNN OFFICES)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 11:50