Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ABBOTSFORD ROAD AND PARSONAGE ROAD, ST PETER'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGSLB31988

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
24/05/1979
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Galashiels
NGR
NT 49551 35579
Coordinates
349551, 635579

Description

John Henderson, 1853 (nave). George Henderson, 1881 (chancel and south aisle). Simple oblong Early English church, with projecting gabled entrance porch and long chancel. Aisle and vestry to south. Squared whin rubble with droved buff sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course, moulded eaves course to chancel. Single lancets to nave, plate tracery to chancel. Hood-moulded geometric east window. Altar by Robert Lorimer (c1920)

NORTH (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: buttressed 4-bay nave with entrance porch to right; pointed arch on colonettes, cast iron gates. 2-bay recessed chancel to left.

Leaded glazing. Purple slate roof with ashlar skews and cruciform finials. Corniced stack to aisle. Copper-hooded bell to exterior of aisle.

INTERIOR: open timber roof: braced collar-beams to chancel, arched braces to nave. Semicircular nave arcade on cylindrical piers. Exposed stone chancel and aisle arches. Altar, pulpit and organ-case with timber tracery. Variety of stained glass. Carved stone baptismal font.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: whin rubble boundary walls to south and west. Sandstone dwarf walls with cast iron railings and ashlar gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such (2005). B-group with the former St Peter's School and former hall. St Peter's church is a notable example of a simple mid-19th century Episcopal church, with good interior details, such as the altar by Robert Lorimer. The simplicity of the church reflects contemporary practice in Episcopal church building. Situated on a rise, the church makes a significant statement on a main road into Galashiels and forms an important group with the church halls and the Episcopal school.

The design and layout of this church in an Early English style relates to a series of Episcopal Gothic Revival Churches carried out in the south of Scotland in the mid 19th century. The style reflects the ideals of the Ecclesiological movement in English Episcopal churches. Similar churches are at St John's Jedburgh and Holy Trinity, Melrose. John Henderson, who designed the original church and George Henderson, who carried out the extensions, were both prolific designers of churches, particularly for the Episcopalian church. At the time St Peter's was built John Henderson was the foremost designer of these Tractarian Churches in Scotland.

The church also reflects the continued diversification of the population of Galashiels through the 19th century. This congregation originated in a mission in the lower flat of a house in Wilderhaugh in 1851. In June 1853 the foundation stone was laid for the new church, which was consecrated in August 1854. This original church had a short chancel with a vestry on the south side. In 1881 the chancel was extended considerably. A new south aisle with a separate pitched roof and an east-facing window was added, as well as a larger lean-to vestry.

In 1881 the Episcopal school was added to the north by Hay and Henderson, who also added the free-standing halls to the west in 1889. More recently, the south aisle has been divided off to form a hall to replace the large hall, now in separate ownership (2005).

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey map (c1856). 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (c1896). Ordnance Survey Town Plan (1858). Charles Strang, Borders and Berwick, (1991), p198. Galashiels, A Modern History, (1983), p115. K Cruft et al., Buildings of Scotland, Borders, (2006), p299. Robert Hall, History of Galashiels, (1898), p261-2. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Online, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABBOTSFORD ROAD AND PARSONAGE ROAD, ST PETER'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/07/2024 11:20